No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HeLa cell genome

Hi All!

I am wondering if there are any plans to resequence HeLa cell line?
    I know that there is the Cancer Genome Project, but I have not found any info about resequencing HeLa.
    Actually this is for me very strange because a lot of people work with this cell line, but we have no idea (as far as I know) how it genome looks like...
    It would be very cool to see how this cell line differs from hg19.
    Do you know anything more about HeLa genome (sequence)?
    thanks!

Scientists know her as HeLa but her name was Henrietta Lacks

You may be interested in reading about recent updates on the Lacks family.
    The Lacks Family continues to spread the good news: Henrietta Lacks' story and legacy. The Lacks Family raises awareness and encourages action to problems.

And more about a recently established foundation

Comment

Originally posted by didymos View Post
      I am wondering if there are any plans to resequence HeLa cell line?
      I would guess all the duplications would make it rather challenging, aka expensive, to do a complete genome, but finding interesting CNVs and SNPs should be possible.

Comment

The ENCODE project used HeLa cells, among others. You could try doing an assembly from the chip-seq, rna-seq, and control datasets they've published. It'd probably be fragmented, but you might be able to detect interesting features.

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgFil..._Search=search

Comment

The Genomic and Transcriptomic Landscape of a HeLa Cell Line

Published Early Online March 11, 2013, doi: 10.1534/g3.113.005777

Detailed genomic and transcriptomic characterization of a HeLa cell line.

Lars M. Steinmetz, corresponding author.

Thank you Lars and all of the authors for publishing this paper.

Comment

The Henrietta Lacks family leads the way

The US NIH has announced an agreement with the descendants of Henrietta Lacks regarding the access to her cells' sequenced whole genome.

see
            doi:10.1038/500141a

also
            Dr. Collins and NIH Deputy Director for Science, Outreach, and Policy Dr. Kathy Hudson describe their work with the Lacks family on HeLa genome data access.

Previous discussions on this forum, and in particular, "Can we sequence the Y Chromosome?" and post #13 there "Future Repositories and Standards Bodies: Guidelines" discuss stardards for genealogy sequence repositories that would encompass relevant historical archives formats.

I would like to note the similarity between the oversight format agreed upon by the Lacks family and NIH (application review and approval by a research oversight committee on behalf of the repository insitution) and the standards for permission for research use of archived medical records housed at the Alan Mason Chesney Medical Archives of The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.

For more information please consult the book:
            Designing archival programs to advance knowledge in the health fields.
            see pp.132-22
            Edited by Nancy McCall and Lisa Mix
            Johns Hopkins University Press 1995
            ISBN 0801847613

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses