Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Review of deCODEme Personal Genomics Service

As I've posted about earlier today, deCODE Genetics has announced their version of a personalized genomics service. I've since registered for the service, and wanted to share with my readers (do I have readers yet? ) an overview of the site once you're logged in and browsing around.

Once you've registered an account, you are presented with a landing page termed "myCODE" which presents the analysis options available:

These options are "my GENE profile", "my PHYSICAL attributes", "my ANCESTRY", and "COMPAREme". Selecting "my GENE profile" brings you to an informative screen which reveals the disease risk panels that deCODEme is analyzing initially:

The traits listed are:
    • Age-related macular degeneration
    • Asthma
    • Atrial fibrillation
    • Breast Cancer
    • Celiac Disease
    • Colorectal Cancer
    • Exfoliation Glaucoma XFG
    • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
    • Multiple sclerosis
    • Myocardial Infarction
    • Obesity
    • Prostate cancer
    • Psoriasis
    • Restless legs
    • Rheumatoid arthritis
    • Type 1 Diabetes
    • Type 2 Diabetes
    The tab at the top with the chromosomal ideogram reveals a more precise look at genotypes within a given gene:

Back to the first page, clicking on the physical attributes or ancestry tab brings us to the page that tells us to buy the test, so no more insight is revealed through these pages.

The COMPAREme section reveals perhaps the most exciting aspects of personalized genomics, the ability to compare with friends and "famous people". There are two famous people available in the list, none other than Craig Venter and Jim Watson. There is a "compare" link that presumably allows one to compare their genotypes against these guys.

Pretty slick presentation and a lot of data for $985. I'm going to try to rustle up the funds today to order the test so I can report the results and the experience here.

Full versions of all screenshots available in the attachments to this post.
    Attached Files

Yes, you have readers ! This service sounds a cut above others - looking forward to hearing how it goes. Will likely buy in to this or one of the others in the near future.

Comment

Sounds pretty good. Maybe we should set up a collection...

BT

Comment

Thanks origins_g and B_T! Glad to see you posting! Please feel free to start topics of your own or make suggestions as to what you want to see here.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses