SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samtools Flag to identify outward facing (mate-pair not paired end) reads lesander Bioinformatics 5 10-28-2011 01:24 PM
Use Illumina mate pair and paired ends with novoalign k2bhide Bioinformatics 1 07-23-2011 08:52 AM
Are the mate-pair reads always shadowed by their friends the paired-end (picture) seb567 Illumina/Solexa 1 07-15-2011 09:49 AM
How to check if reads are properly paired in mate-pair data? genepool_bee Bioinformatics 2 02-22-2011 01:07 AM
Difference between mate pair and pair end bassu General 2 06-19-2010 06:13 AM

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
lre1234

Default paired-end vs. mate-pair

Hi all,
we are planning on doing some whole genome sequencing and I have a question. I have been under the impression that paired-end sequencing is the best method to use, but now some of the people here are telling me that we should use mate-pair.

While I know the differences between the two methods, I am not sure which is the best one to use. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is better, or know of a pub that has compare the two methods?

Thanks for your help and thoughts.
lre1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
HESmith

Mate-pair is a specific type of library; paired-end is a type of sequencing. They are not two different methods; in fact, mate-pair libraries require paired-end sequencing.

The decision to use mate-pair vs. standard libraries depends upon your application.
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
swbarnes2

Mate pair allows you to have your pairs be much farther apart, which can be more informative than the standard paired-end protocol.

The downside is that it's a more complicated protocol, and it can be contaminted with ordinary paired-end reads, which I image can make analysis more difficult.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
krobison

The other class of challenge from mate pair data are false mates -- cases in which the ligation step brings two unrelated molecules together. The panda genome paper is an example where this was a very serious issue.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
cw11

This site describes some of the potential restrictions of the mate-pair library. I also found in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobpf View Post
I think paired end refers to sequencing from the ENDS of a DNA fragment. If you're doing 75-bp paired end read using an insert size of 300bp, then the machine will sequence 1-75 and 300-225 (for simplicity, omitting the adapters)

Mate pair requires a completely different protocol and is typically over longer distances such as 2-5kb. If you want to sequence a 5kb mate pair library, then 5kb fragments of DNA are isolated on the gel, the ends are biotinylated, the fragment is circularized and sheared. So now when you select using streptavidin, you'll get the fragment that has the ENDS of the original 5kb fragment. This fragment is then sequenced.

Mate pair is more relevant in genome assembly, especially for covering repetitive sequences. Paired end can be used for anything - RNA, DNA.

You can get more information on the Illumina site:
http://www.illumina.com/technology/p...ing_assay.ilmn

http://www.illumina.com/technology/m...ing_assay.ilmn

I'm not sure how 454 or other methods define these terms
cw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
meganathan.pr

Hi all,
I am trying to prepare mate pair library. I dont wanna use Illumina kit as it is costlier. Do any one have the protocol using other chemical supplies? can I get it?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
masker

Wink

I remember that because of the single read length, the 454 defined "paired-end" as "mate-pair" from Illumina.
masker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
SEQond

I find Illumina's explanation for paired-end quite lacking. Wikipedia has a better explanation
SEQond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
chevrm

Mate-pairs are wonderful if you're dealing with particularly tricky assemblies, CNVs, or looking for other structural variations (translocs, etc) but may not be worth it if you don't have any of these criteria.
chevrm is offline   Reply With Quote