SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge Illumina/Solexa 20 12-14-2011 01:03 PM
bowtie command line for Illumina Hiseq 2000 with Illumina 1.5+ quality encoding files rworthi Illumina/Solexa 4 09-28-2011 11:25 AM
Quality Check for Illumina Sequencing Santosh Illumina/Solexa 1 06-30-2011 07:35 AM
Illumina sequencing error rates sixguns Illumina/Solexa 8 03-10-2011 11:09 PM
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge General 1 09-13-2010 02:22 PM

Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
huangjun

Default Illumina sequencing Quality error

Hi, everyone!
Recently, i received the RNA-seq data, when i use FASTX_TOOKIT preprocessing the data, it shows that my data invalid, quality < 0; Is
there anyone encountered this problem before? thank you!
huangjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
ulz_peter

Sounds to me as if FastX is expecting different quality encoding than you've got in your samples. Which platform does your data come from? What did you want to do with the FastX Toolkit? (I must admit I am not too experienced with that toolkit)
ulz_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

append the '-Q 33' command to fastX tools to allow them to work with quality scores that have a base of 33. This is undocumented in the command-line help for the tools, but should work with all tools that demand particular quality values.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
huangjun

my data come from Illumina Hiseq 2000 , FASTX_Toolkit can trim the low quality bases, cut off the low quality bases and mask the reads.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
huangjun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringer View Post
append the '-Q 33' command to fastX tools to allow them to work with quality scores that have a base of 33. This is undocumented in the command-line help for the tools, but should work with all tools that demand particular quality values.
Hi, gringer, in my reads , if there have more than 1 bases quality lower than 0 , or so ito large amount of reads, my be we can't know which parameter to append ?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Quote:
Hi, gringer, in my reads , if there have more than 1 bases quality lower than 0 , or so ito large amount of reads, my be we can't know which parameter to append ?
My experience with fastx toolkit is that it doesn't support quality values lower than 0. If you have any in there, then you have to use -Q 33, and make the adjustment manually.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
huangjun

Hi, gringer. I want to know "make the adjustment msnuslly" means? thank you !
Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Here's the table from Wikipedia:
Code:
  SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....................................................
  ..........................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......................
  ...............................IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII......................
  .................................JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ......................
  LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL....................................................
  !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
  |                         |    |        |                              |                     |
 33                        59   64       73                            104                   126

S - Sanger        Phred+33,  raw reads typically (0, 40)
 X - Solexa        Solexa+64, raw reads typically (-5, 40)
 I - Illumina 1.3+ Phred+64,  raw reads typically (0, 40)
 J - Illumina 1.5+ Phred+64,  raw reads typically (3, 40)
    with 0=unused, 1=unused, 2=Read Segment Quality Control Indicator (bold) 
    (Note: See discussion above).
 L - Illumina 1.8+ Phred+33,  raw reads typically (0, 41)
The only negative reads here are the old Solexa reads. These start at base 59, so you could either use 59 as a base for the fastx-toolkit and add 5 to whatever you use for quality thresholds (e.g. mask at q25, rather than q20), or use 33 as a base for everything and add the difference (e.g. mask at q51, rather than q20). This mental arithmetic is what I mean by doing it manually.