No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATK: unable to write data to BAM schedule file

Hi,

I am trying to use UnifiedGenotyper in GATK, but encountered the following error message (below). Does anyone know how to deal with this? I check my quota on the directory of the bam file and I still have enough space.

Thanks!

ps. I do this with multiple jobs on a cluster and some jobs would get stuck with this error messages.

INFO 17:12:16,425 HelpFormatter - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INFO 17:12:16,428 HelpFormatter - The Genome Analysis Toolkit (GATK) v1.4-25-g23e7f1b, Compiled 2012/02/08 04:59:00
    INFO 17:12:16,428 HelpFormatter - Copyright (c) 2010 The Broad Institute
    INFO 17:12:16,428 HelpFormatter - Please view our documentation at http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/wiki
    INFO 17:12:16,428 HelpFormatter - For support, please view our support site at http://getsatisfaction.com/gsa
    INFO 17:12:16,429 HelpFormatter - Program Args: -T UnifiedGenotyper -glm BOTH -stand_call_conf 30 -stand_emit_conf 30 -R reference/S288Cseq/S288C.fasta -o ./BWA/FP-973-5-4NQO-B.vcf -I ./BWA/FP-973-5-4NQO-B.mdup.realign.bam
    INFO 17:12:16,429 HelpFormatter - Date/Time: 2012/02/12 17:12:16
    INFO 17:12:16,429 HelpFormatter - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INFO 17:12:16,429 HelpFormatter - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INFO 17:12:16,458 GenomeAnalysisEngine - Strictness is SILENT
    INFO 17:12:31,572 SAMDataSource$SAMReaders - Initializing SAMRecords in serial
    INFO 17:12:31,588 SAMDataSource$SAMReaders - Done initializing BAM readers: total time 0.02
    ##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ##### ERROR stack trace
    org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.exceptions.ReviewedStingException: Unable to write data to BAM schedule file.
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMSchedule.write(BAMSchedule.java:311)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMSchedule.<init>(BAMSchedule.java:150)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMScheduler.getNextOverlappingBAMScheduleEntry(BAMScheduler.java:263)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMScheduler.advance(BAMScheduler.java:170)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMScheduler.populateFilteredIntervalList(BAMScheduler.java:99)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMScheduler.createOverMappedReads(BAMScheduler.java:62)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.IntervalSharder.shardOverMappedReads(IntervalSharder.java:54)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.SAMDataSource.createShardIteratorOverMappedReads(SAMDataSource.java:1135)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.getShardStrategy(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:450)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:230)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:122)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:236)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:146)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:90)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
    at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.write0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.write(FileDispatcher.java:57)
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.writeFromNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:122)
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.write(IOUtil.java:93)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.write(FileChannelImpl.java:224)
    at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.datasources.reads.BAMSchedule.write(BAMSchedule.java:306)
    ... 13 more
    ##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ##### ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 1.4-25-g23e7f1b):
    ##### ERROR
    ##### ERROR Please visit the wiki to see if this is a known problem
    ##### ERROR If not, please post the error, with stack trace, to the GATK forum
    ##### ERROR Visit our wiki for extensive documentation http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/wiki
    ##### ERROR Visit our forum to view answers to commonly asked questions http://getsatisfaction.com/gsa
    ##### ERROR
    ##### ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to write data to BAM schedule file.

Doesn't "No space left on device" means pretty much like what it looks like?

Comment

Uh... I have about 500G on the drive where I have GATK and my bam files. Each of my bam file is only about 1G. So I don't think that drive does not have enough space (please correct me if I am wrong). But I suspect the program utilizes some other drive for temporary files. So I am wondering if there is any way I can get around this.

Thanks.

Comment

This is actually an issue with JVM (if it is true your temp space is located in a spot where there is no free space). Try this:

java -Djava.io.tmpdir=/temp/ [and then the resets of the command] where /temp is whatever spot you want to write temp files.

Comment

Setting -Djava.io.tmpdir seems to work! Thanks a lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
            Doesn't "No space left on device" means pretty much like what it looks like?
            I've also hit this when ulimit is exhausted with GATK, so not always

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses