Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • alonie
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 4

    #1

    Truth set for NA12878 SNVs

    Hi. I wonder if anyone can direct me to a complete 'truth' SNV set for the 1000genomes NA12878 individual (and, ideally, her mum and dad too). There are a number of existing NA12878 vcf files from various sources, with many or most of the variants in common, but I'm thinking that there must be one 'correct' vcf that the Broad refers to for evaluation etc? The 1000 genomes CEUtrio vcf at ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...notypes.vcf.gz is a couple of years old now and I'm guessing there's a better call set somewhere. Most particularly I'm after one that is comprehensive, i.e. very few false negatives, as we're looking to evaluate FNR for various sequence depths. Maybe there is one generated from one of these newer very deep sequencing sets for NA12878:
    ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...878/alignment/
    which is around 60-70x, and

    which look to be ~100x. I think the 1000genomes public VCFs are generated from much earlier GAII based runs?

    Any help appreciated

    Andrew
  • terhorst
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 1

    #2
    I have yet to find a satisfying answer to this question despite a lot of searching. In truth, there does not seem to be any "truth" variant callset for NA12878 -- everything I have seen to date was generated on the same platform and with the same (or inferior) informatics software as that which you find yourself trying to validate. For SNPs with a relatively high MAF you can look at earlier SNP chip genotyping datasets for this individual, but those will not help you with rare variants. To my knowledge the highest-quality and most recent resequencing data for NA12878 (in fact, the whole trio) is the so-called Platinum Genome released by Illumina. When I examined the raw reads, however, I still saw enough noise that I would hesitate to classify as Truth whatever callset you managed to extract from them.

    Comment

    • alonie
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 4

      #3
      Thanks. I hadn't seen the Illumina platinum data. Where exactly are the VCFs though?
      I know Complete Genomics claim an error rate of ~3 SNVs per MB currently, but not sure how they evaluate that.

      Comment

      • alonie
        Junior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 4

        #4
        OK found the VCFs: ftp://ftp.platinumgenomes.org/trio

        I will do some comparisons and post here

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        11 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        34 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        28 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...