Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks timing out - computing power required?

I am analysing human transcriptome data (Illumina) via the Tophat -> Cufflinks pipeline (v2.0.2) using iGenomes references. My dataset comprises 14 patients and 6 controls, so I have 2 "conditions" to analyse with 14 and 6 biological replicates respectively.

Until now I have been bypassing the full cufflinks protocol and just running cuffdiff providing a GTF, as follows:

PHP Code:
    cuffdiff -p 8 -./cuffdiff_out -b genome.fa genes.gtf P1.bam,P2.bam,P3.bam,P4.bam,P5.bam,P6.bam,P7.bam,P8.bam,P9.bam,P10.bam,P11.bam,P12.bam,P13.bam,P14.bam C1.bam,C2.bam,C3.bam,C4.bam,C5.bam,C6.bam 
    This operation runs across 8 cores of our server (4GB per core) in 11-12h.

However, I have been trying to run the full cufflinks -> cuffmerge -> cuffdiff protocol (as per the Nature Protocols publication) but as yet have not been able to successfully complete the entire process. My IT support team have been very helpful but the final cuffdiff job which I run is requiring HUGE amounts of computing power and time and I wonder what other people's experience of this is are or if I am doing something wrong.

I have successfully run these operations:-

Cufflinks for each BAM file:
    PHP Code:
    cufflinks -p 8 -./output_dir -b genome.fa -g genes.gtf P1.bam 
    Then create assemblies.txt file:-
    PHP Code:
    ./path/to/P1.bam
    ./path/to/P2.bam
    etc 
    Cuffmerge (this took 1h):
    PHP Code:
    cuffmerge -p 8 -./cuffmerge_out -g genes.gtf -s genome.fa assemblies.txt 
    Cuffdiff:
    PHP Code:
    cuffdiff -p 8 -./cuffdiff_out -b genome.fa -u merged.gtf P1.bam,P2.bam,P3.bam,P4.bam,P5.bam,P6.bam,P7.bam,P8.bam,P9.bam,P10.bam,P11.bam,P12.bam,P13.bam,P14.bam C1.bam,C2.bam,C3.bam,C4.bam,C5.bam,C6.bam 
    The last time I tried to run the cuffdiff step I was allocated 160GB across 8 cores for 5 days. The job timed out at the "Testing for differential expression and regulation in locus" step. It also only ever used ~30GB of the 160GB allocated.

Can anyone offer any advice / suggestions / or even let me know how much computing power / time they use for their runs?

Much appreciated
    Helen

Is this an issue just with the newest version of cufflinks (v.2.02) or did it also occur with older versions of cufflinks?

Comment

Hi hlwright,

I am also having the same problem. Could you pls tell me how you've solved your problem ?

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses