No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problematic Fastq qualities with BWA

Hi all,

I'm having problems running BWA (0.5.9-r16 and 0.6.2) on some new whole exome data.

The initial alignment runs fine (it seems) but when I want to create a SAM file with 'bwa sampe' it screws up the quality scores. Reading the file with samtools gives this error:
    [samopen] SAM header is present: 25 sequences.
    Parse error at line 27: sequence and quality are inconsistent
    This is the first sequence line of the SAM file:
    HISEQ1:382:C14EVACXX:3:1101:1296:1986 83 1 212274224 60 101M = 212274087 -238 AAAGCTGTGGAACGCTACCTCTTCCTTTGAGACCTTGTGGAGAAGGGTCTGAAATGGTAGGCAAAGAGAATAGTTCCCCAGAGAATAAAAACTGGTTGTTG ^_^_$^]^SESC ^\ ^Y# ^_^V^\^W $"#$!#" ^^
    ^X^^
    Compared to an equivalent output from bowtie2:
    @PG ID:bowtie2 PN:bowtie2 VN:2.0.0-beta7
    HISEQ1:382:C14EVACXX:3:1101:1296:1986 83 1 212274224 42 101M = 212274087 -238 AAAGCTGTGGAACGCTACCTCTTCCTTTGAGACCTTGTGGAGAAGGGTCTGAAATGGTAGGCAAAGAGAATAGTTCCCCAGAGAATAAAAACTGGTTGTTG >>C<2;(8B?>5;6(?CABC@BA?=)7=)7;CIIHEHIGIGC=?BD<@GE>GBB3DEF9AIIIIIGGGGHF?D6E9DHGHCHCBIFF<>FHDDB=:;?1 AS:i:0 XN:i:0 XM:i:0 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 NM:i:0 MD:Z:101 YS:i:0 YT:Z:CP
    Anyone else seen this? Is this a problem caused by an incompatibility between BWA and casava 1.8+? I've run BWA in the past with no problems.
    TIA

Bump. Am I the only one seeing this?

Comment

I had similar issues with bwa, switched to bowtie2 like you did

Comment

Please write down the command line of BWA. Not just the sampe part, but the aln part also. Usually I get this kind of results when I use -I option in bwa aln.
        Other tip: See the next line after the error (in your case line 28). Maybe a newline character can be found on your quality score?

Comment

I thought this was a dead thread so didn't update.

Problem is/was the '-I' switch in bwa. It doesn't work with newer sanger fastq format files produced with Illumina pipeline v1.8+: remove switch and it works.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses