Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about RNA-Seq data from cell lines

I am currently analyzing some RNA-Seq data from different cell lines, but I think I lack basic knowledge in this area. Are there any related papers/online tutorials on this subject? For example, I'd like to know:

(1) if different cell lines are from different subjects;
    (2) how to deal with technical replicates of a cell line;
    (3) under what situations can I compare different cell lines to see if there is, say, differential exon/isoform usage;
    (4) ... and questions like that...

Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by alittleboy; 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM.

You do not clearly say if you are just beginning with RNA-seq data analysis or need help with just those specific questions. In any case perhaps this could help some: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Next_Ge..._%28NGS%29/RNA

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      You do not clearly say if you are just beginning with RNA-seq data analysis or need help with just those specific questions. In any case perhaps this could help some: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Next_Ge..._%28NGS%29/RNA
      http://www.nature.com/nprot/journal/....2012.016.html
      Thank you for the resources! I think I've done some statistical analyses on RNA-Seq data, but lack the experience of real-world designs as I have the questions listed above. Maybe some more information on RNA-Seq analysis from cell lines are greatly apprecipated ;-)

Comment

i really don't understand your questions? what do you want know from your cell lines? you can't start an analysis without a biological/scientific question...

1) cell lines are from different individuals and different tissues (normal/cancer, the former mostly immortalized). some are genetically or with genetical selection modified, all harbor some cell culture artefacts (losses and gains of genetic material, changes in epigenetics, ...)
        2) technical replicates are more or less useless, you would need biological replicates. are you sure, that your samples are tech. repl.
        3) why do you want to know this - for sure are there differences, especially if the cell lines are from different tissues/conditions.
        4) tell us some names of your cell lines, than we could try to understand the data set.

but as said above, EVERY analysis should have a clear biological question...

Comment

Hi @alittleboy,

Not sure if this helps, but here is a case study for comparing RNA-seq data generated from two cell lines (UHR and HBR):

Best wishes,

Wei

Comment

Originally posted by dietmar13 View Post
            i really don't understand your questions? what do you want know from your cell lines? you can't start an analysis without a biological/scientific question...

1) cell lines are from different individuals and different tissues (normal/cancer, the former mostly immortalized). some are genetically or with genetical selection modified, all harbor some cell culture artefacts (losses and gains of genetic material, changes in epigenetics, ...)
            2) technical replicates are more or less useless, you would need biological replicates. are you sure, that your samples are tech. repl.
            3) why do you want to know this - for sure are there differences, especially if the cell lines are from different tissues/conditions.
            4) tell us some names of your cell lines, than we could try to understand the data set.

but as said above, EVERY analysis should have a clear biological question...
            Thank you so much for the reply! Yes, I agree that biological question comes first before discussing these details. We would like to compare different approaches for testing differential exon usage, and the data we have are many RNA-Seq cell line outputs, from which some of them have replicates (technical reps). I will talk to the bioinformatics people later for clarifications.

Comment

Originally posted by shi View Post
              Hi @alittleboy,

Not sure if this helps, but here is a case study for comparing RNA-seq data generated from two cell lines (UHR and HBR):

Best wishes,

Wei
              Hi Wei:

Thanks for your reply! I read through the tutorial you wrote, where "A_1, A_2, B_1 and B_2. A_1 and A_2 are both Universal Human Reference RNA (UHRR) samples but they underwent separate sample preparation." -- do you mean that A_1 and A_2 are biological reps (and same for B_1 and B_2)?

If I understand correctly, cell type A is related to one tissue (say brain) with cancer but _1 and _2 are from two subjects?... how about cell type B? same/different tissue? same/different cancer?

Thanks again ;-)

Comment

Hi @alittleoboy,

A_1 and A_2 are not biological reps in the strict sense. We refer as biological replicates those samples taken from different mice or taken from different pools of mice. A_1 and A_2 underwent different sample prep processes and were then sequenced. The sample variations between them should be higher than those typically seen in the technical replicates (undergoing same sample prep process).

Both samples A and B are from commercial cell lines. Sample A is Universal Human Reference RNA including RNAs extracted from 10 different types of cancer cells. Sample B is a human brain sample.

See the links below for more info about these samples:

Experience Agilent Universal Reference RNA—high-quality total RNA from human, mouse, and rat cell lines. It acts as a consistent control for standard data set comparisons in gene-expression profiling. Equal quantities of DNase-treated total RNA from each respective cell line are pooled to make a Universal Reference RNA.

Best wishes,

Wei

Comment

Hi @alittleoboy,

A_1 and A_2 are not biological reps in the strict sense. We refer as biological replicates those samples taken from different mice or taken from different pools of mice. A_1 and A_2 underwent different sample prep processes and were then sequenced. The sample variations between them should be higher than those typically seen in the technical replicates (undergoing same sample prep process).

Both samples A and B are from commercial cell lines. Sample A is Universal Human Reference RNA including RNAs extracted from 10 different types of cancer cells. Sample B is a human brain sample.

See the links below for more info about these samples:

Experience Agilent Universal Reference RNA—high-quality total RNA from human, mouse, and rat cell lines. It acts as a consistent control for standard data set comparisons in gene-expression profiling. Equal quantities of DNase-treated total RNA from each respective cell line are pooled to make a Universal Reference RNA.

Best wishes,

Wei
                  Hi Wei:

Thanks for the information! I agree with you that they are not biological replicates in the strict sense. It's better to call them technical replicates, even though they have higher variations than replicates having the same preparation procedures.

Here is the question: does it make sense to make such comparisons between non-biological replicates? I once heard that technical replicates are more or less useless, and biological replicates are crucial. Do we proceed with our analyses by whether it's a comparison between biological replicates, or by the variations relative to true technical replicates (in other words, if there is higher variation, we don't care if they're biological reps or not -- it's valid to compare)?

Thanks again ;-)

Comment

Hi @alittleboy,

Yes, you should have biological replicates included in your experiment. The biological replicates are important for estimating the biological variations in your data and for confidently calling differentially expressed genes.

This case study just showcases the use of an easy-to-use and powerful Bioconductor pipeline for analyzing RNA-seq data. Although there are no biological replicates included in the case study, the pipeline remains the same for the analysis of RNA-seq data with biological replicates.

Best wishes,

Wei

Comment

Hi @alittleboy,

Yes, you should have biological replicates included in your experiment. The biological replicates are important for estimating the biological variations in your data and for confidently calling differentially expressed genes.

This case study just showcases the use of an easy-to-use and powerful Bioconductor pipeline for analyzing RNA-seq data. Although there are no biological replicates included in the case study, the pipeline remains the same for the analysis of RNA-seq data with biological replicates.

Best wishes,

Wei
                      Hi Wei:

Thank you for the clarifications! You're right that this is only an illustration. In reality, biological replicates are crucial (which I realize that biologists do not realize the importance, that's why I asked if comparing just tech reps are valid...)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 12:17 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM
                      0 responses