Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat with and without GTF

From what I understand, running TopHat with the GTF will assist with the mappings and make them a little cleaner, but shouldn't make a huge difference. I tried running TopHat with and without GTF on some mouse data.

Alignment summary with GTF:
    Code:
    Left reads:
                   Input:  76922617
                  Mapped:  37116408 (48.3% of input)
                of these:   1976558 ( 5.3%) have multiple alignments (515208 have >20)
    Right reads:
                   Input:  76672086
                  Mapped:  35646606 (46.5% of input)
                of these:   1395593 ( 3.9%) have multiple alignments (748805 have >20)
    47.4% overall read alignment rate.

Aligned pairs:  32699739
         of these:    745858 ( 2.3%) have multiple alignments
              and:    353721 ( 1.1%) are discordant alignments
    42.2% concordant pair alignment rate.
    Alignment summary without GTF:
    Code:
    Left reads:
                   Input:  76922617
                  Mapped:   4455809 ( 5.8% of input)
                of these:    212949 ( 4.8%) have multiple alignments (481436 have >20)
    Right reads:
                   Input:  76672086
                  Mapped:   3360721 ( 4.4% of input)
                of these:    128254 ( 3.8%) have multiple alignments (732174 have >20)
     5.1% overall read alignment rate.

Aligned pairs:    817083
         of these:      5615 ( 0.7%) have multiple alignments
              and:       720 ( 0.1%) are discordant alignments
     1.1% concordant pair alignment rate.
    The difference between alignment with and without GTF is huge. Is this normal? What would explain such a big discrepancy?

If this is normal, then the conclusion is that providing a GTF is important. By that logic, can TopHat really be trusted to detect novel transcripts if it has so much trouble working with transcripts not described by a GTF file?

Including a GTF file can make a large difference (see "tophat2" vs. "tophat2 ann" at the bottom):

I recommend reading the whole paper, it's quite useful.

Comment

I should add that in either case your alignment rate is exceedingly low. What sort of organism is this? Also, did you do any adapter trimming?

Comment

To answer your question, this is mouse without adapter trimming.

Thanks for that informative paper. However, the difference between annotated and non-annotated TopHat there is a few percentage points. For me it's ~5% versus ~50%.

For comparison, I am getting over 80% with just regular genomic alignment with Bowtie, so the reads themselves are of reasonable quality.

Comment

80% with mouse RNAseq is more what one would expect (I get >95% alignment with mouse RNAseq, though only ~85-90% map uniquely).

Are you using local alignment with bowtie? Also, keep in mind that tophat is less tolerant (by default) of mismatches than bowtie, so if you have a number of those (due to using a quite divergent strain, for example), then that might also cause these sorts of problems.

Maybe give STAR a try and see if that produces better results for you. I've been quite happy with it.

Comment

Based on what I've heard from other people, STAR will be much faster, but only marginally more accurate (if at all).

Regarding mismatches, that should not be affected by adding or removing a GTF. That variable is yielding ~5% versus ~50% alignment rate for me. I don't see how I can find any novel genes based off TopHat alignment if it is having so much difficulty finding known ones.

Comment

True, though if the low alignment rate is due in part to the ends of many reads not mapping then using an aligner that can do soft-clipping (e.g., STAR) might produce better results. Aside from that, I'd have to actually see and play around with your data a bit to be of any more help. I've never had these sorts of issues with mouse RNA.

Comment

I ran the same sample with STAR. I generated two genomes, one with GTF and one without. I ran the sample against both. I got more than twice the number of splices with GTF, which makes sense to me. For uniquely mapped reads, I got 64% alignment rate with GTF and 63% without. Essentially identical, which is what I would expect from a good aligner.

I will have to evaluate STAR more thoroughly. Based on the literature and this forum, it's main advantage is speed, which is not a concern for me, so I never bothered to test it for myself. At least for this one example, it seems to be far superior than TopHat in terms of alignment. I would also be far more confident in any novel genes detected from this alignment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses