Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coryza
    Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 29

    #1

    Calculate Exome Coverage

    *// Edit to make the post more clear (Mapping done via Bowtie2).
    My problem is that when counting Exome Coverage via coverageBed gives different results than via genomeCoverageBed. So I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or which of the 2 methods is correct.

    1) My first step is to build an .bed file of my Illumina Paired-End reads, returning the positions that only fall in targeted exon regions. I'm doing that via intersectBed -a [data.bed] -b [illuminaexonregions.bed].

    2) My next step is to calculate the coverage of my new datafile via coverageBed -a [newdata.bed] -b [illuminaexonregions.bed]. I calculated some statistics:
    Number of exons **214126** with a total length of **45326818**
    Number of matched nucleotides **10993449.0**
    Nucleotides/Length*100 **24.253740909** % Coverage.

    3) The next step was to calculate the coverage of my new datafile via genomeCoverageBed -i [newdata.bed] -g [genome.txt] -d awk '$3>0 {print $1"\t"$2"\t"$3}'. I calculated some statistics:
    Number of exons **214126** with a total length of **45326818**
    Number of matched nucleotides **10576907.0**
    Nucleotides/Length*100 **23.3347661863** % Coverage.

    Somehow there's a difference in matched nucleotides, which I can't explain. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Coryza; 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM.
  • TiborNagy
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 329

    #2
    coverageBed calculate coverages where the two bed files are overlap.

    Comment

    • Coryza
      Member
      • Feb 2014
      • 29

      #3
      True. So when I coverageBed -a [data filtered exon regions] -b [exons] that should give the same result when genomeCoverageBed -i [data filtered exion regions] -g [genome] -d.?

      Comment

      • TiborNagy
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 329

        #4
        Yes, If everythink is working correctly.

        Comment

        • Baseless
          Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 31

          #5
          This will not directly solve your problem, but save you some time: You can run coverageBed directly from the bam file and save the time/IO needed to produce a bed file of the sequencing data first.
          I do my coverage checks like this:
          coverageBed -abam <final_bam_file> -b <enrichment_kit_track_file> -hist

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          11 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          34 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          28 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          48 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...