Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Siva
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 57

    #1

    Bowtie: Burrows Wheeler Transform

    I have used Bowtie to align maize short sequence reads. I have a rather naive question regarding the application of the underlying algorithm. I just thought I would pose it here. How is the Burrows Wheeler Transform algorithm used in in the multiple alignment/short sequence alignment? Does the genome "index" building (Bowtie Index) also use this algorithm? Any details greatly appreciated.

    Siva
  • mgogol
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 197

    #2
    Here's a powerpoint presentation I made for our journal club where I attempt to explain the burroughs wheeler transform algorithm...

    I think you are doing the burroughs wheeler transformation when you create the genome index, and then the alignment part is just doing a lookup into that transformed genome.

    If anybody else looks at this presentation and finds I have it wrong, please correct me!
    Attached Files

    Comment

    • Siva
      Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 57

      #3
      Hi mgogol
      Thanks a lot. I will go through your ppt presentation and get back to you.

      Siva

      Comment

      • lh3
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 686

        #4
        If I were asked to explain how BWT works in sequence alignment in one sentence, I would say BWT effectively mimics suffix tree but with much smaller memory footprint. About how it mimics you need to understand backward search/LF mapping, which will take some time to understand and even more time to prove.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        14 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        37 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        28 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...