SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bisulphite sequencing on Illumina Paired End 100bp reads yog77 Illumina/Solexa 11 07-15-2014 07:03 AM
Bisulphite sequencing on Illumina Paired End 100bp reads yog77 Epigenetics 0 06-30-2011 10:11 AM
Question About Illumina Paired end Sequencing Dr. Hybe Illumina/Solexa 10 06-30-2011 07:51 AM
PubMed: Local De Novo Assembly of RAD Paired-End Contigs Using Short Sequencing Reads Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-06-2011 12:40 AM
454 paired end bacterial whole genome assembly pmiguel Bioinformatics 15 03-11-2010 05:50 AM

Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
mjouret

Default Whole genome assembly of cDNA with Illumina paired-end sequencing

Does anybody know an opensource software package for whole genome assembly of cDNA with Illumina paired-end sequencing? I'm really looking for an assembler designed for cDNA data, not DNA. I don't think that programs like Velvet or SSAKE can deal with this kind of data (I may be wrong). MIRA seems OK but it is not quite clear whether it takes the "paired-end" feature into account when assembling cDNA data. Any help is much appreciated !!
mjouret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

I don't understand your question - cDNA is just a small part of a whole genome. Are you talking about an EST assembly of the transcriptome (i.e. extract mRNA, covert to cDNA, sequence it, assemble it).

maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Zigster
(Jeremy Leipzig)

yeah I assume he means transcriptome assembly

velvet has an attachment called oases, still in beta, but it seems to produce interesting results. I believe abyss also has something like this in the works.
--
My blog
Twitter
Zigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
mjouret

Thx Zigster. Yes I mean the transcriptome assembly. After some research, it seems that MIRA can deal with this kind of data (EST + paired end + short read). I saw in several papers that CAP3 was used on the assembled contigs (to get larger contigs). Is this a good idea ? Do you have any advice ?
mjouret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Zigster
(Jeremy Leipzig)

if you have 100M short reads I would give those to Velvet and then use those contigs in an alignment based program like you mentioned

i like Mira but the parameter setup is a hassle. Prepare to set aside a couple hours to read the manual.
--
My blog
Twitter
Zigster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembly, cdna, paired-end, sequencing, solexa