Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Reformat, a fast read format converter

Reformat is a member of the BBMap/BBTools package. It is a multipurpose tool designed for converting reads or other nucleotide data between different formats. It supports, and can inter-convert:

fastq
    fasta
    fasta+qual
    sam
    scarf (an old Illumina format)
    bam (if samtools is installed)
    gzip
    zip
    ascii-33 (sanger)
    ascii-64 (old Illumina)
    paired files
    interleaved files

It is multithreaded and can process data at over 500 megabytes per second, and can accept streams from standard in and write to standard out, allowing it to be easily dropped into the middle of a pipeline for format conversion. Reformat autodetects formats based on file extensions and content, making it very easy to use; and the autodetection can be overridden, allowing flexibility for people who don't like to follow naming conventions, or out-of-spec fastq files with qualities values like -17 or 120.

The program has been gradually expanded, and can now perform various other functions. None of these will break pairing, if the input is paired.

Quality trimming (either or both ends)
    Quality filtering
    Fixed-length trimming
    Generation of histograms (base composition, quality, etc)
    Subsampling (to a fraction of input reads, or an exact number of reads or bases)
    Changing fasta line-wrapping length
    Reverse-complementing (all reads or only read 2)
    Adding /1 and /2 suffix to read names
    GC-content filtering
    Length-filtering
    Testing for corrupted interleaved files

Reformat is compatible with any platform that supports Java 1.7 or higher. It also has a bash shellscript for simpler invocation. Typical usage examples:

Reformat fastq into fasta:
    reformat.sh in=x.fq out=y.fa

Interleave paired reads:
    reformat.sh in1=x1.fq in2=x2.fq out=y.fq

Note - you can actually use a shortcut if paired read files have the same name with a 1 and a 2. This is equivalent to the above command:
    reformat.sh in=x#.fq out=y.fq

De-interleave reads:
    reformat.sh in=x.fq out1=y1.fq out2=y2.fq

Verify that interleaving appears correct, assuming Illumina namimg conventions:
    reformat.sh in=x.fq vint

Convert ASCII-33 to ASCII-64:
    reformat.sh in=x.fq out=y.fq qin=33 qout=64

Quality-trim paired reads to Q10 on the left and right ends and discard reads shorter than 50bp after trimming:
    reformat.sh in1=x1.fq in2=x2.fq out1=y1.fq out2=y2.fq outsingle=singletons.fq qtrim=rl trimq=10 minlength=50

Subsample 10% of the first 20000 pairs in an interleaved file:
    reformat.sh in=x.fq out=y.fq reads=20000 samplerate=0.1 int=t
    (in this case "int=t" overrides interleaving autodetection, to ensure reads are treated as pairs)

Pipe in a gzipped sam file and pipe out fasta:
    reformat.sh in=stdin.sam.gz out=stdout.fa

Reverse-complement reads:
    reformat.sh in=x.fq out=y.fq rcomp

For reformatting a file with very long sequences, Reformat will need more memory; just add the additional flag "-Xmx2g". For example, to change the line-wrapping length on the human genome (which has individual sequences over 200Mbp long) to 70 characters:
    reformat.sh -Xmx2g in=HG19.fa.gz out=HG19_wrapped.fa.gz fastawrap=70

For additional functions, please run the shellscript with no arguments, or just read it with a text editor. If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

For people using a non-bash terminal, you may need to type "bash reformat.sh" instead of just "reformat.sh".
    For users of Windows or other platforms that do not support bash shellscripts, replace "reformat.sh" with "java -ea -Xmx200m /path/to/bbmap/current/ jgi.ReformatReads"
    for example,
    java -ea -Xmx200m C:\bbmap\current\ jgi.ReformatReads in=x.fq out=y.fa

Reformat can be downloaded with BBTools here:
    Download BBMap for free. BBMap short read aligner, and other bioinformatic tools. This package includes BBMap, a short read aligner, as well as various other bioinformatic tools. It is written in pure Java, can run on any platform, and has no dependencies other than Java being installed (compiled for Java 6 and higher).

Looks nice. Out of curiousity, can it handle chimeric (i.e., non-linear) alignments when converting from BAM to fastq? That's been a real weak point of a lot of other tools.

Comment

No, the conversion from sam/bam is stateless and 'dumb' - each line in the sam file will generate a FASTQ read, so secondary and chimeric alignments would cause problems.

Comment

Consider this the first feature request then

Comment

When I use the command reformat.sh in bbtools package I am getting the following error::
          java -ea -Xmx200m -cp /home/himanshu/Downloads/me2/bbmap/current/ jgi.ReformatReads -in=reads.fna qfin=reads.qual out=reads.fasta
          Executing jgi.ReformatReads [-in=reads.fna, qfin=reads.qual, out=reads.fasta]

Input is being processed as unpaired
          Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.AssertionError
          at stream.FastaQualReadInputStream3.makeRead(FastaQualReadInputStream3.java:257)
          at stream.FastaQualReadInputStream3.toReadList(FastaQualReadInputStream3.java:147)
          at stream.FastaQualReadInputStream3.toReads(FastaQualReadInputStream3.java:113)
          at stream.FastaQualReadInputStream3.fillBuffer(FastaQualReadInputStream3.java:97)
          at stream.FastaQualReadInputStream3.hasMore(FastaQualReadInputStream3.java:56)
          at stream.ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream$ReadThread.readLists(ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream.java:745)
          at stream.ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream$ReadThread.run(ConcurrentGenericReadInputStream.java:737)

Please help me

Comment

This was caused by the bases and qualities having different lengths. Either the fna and qual file do not go together, or their order is different, or one of the files is misformatted.

"reads.fna" should already be in fasta format, though, which is what you specified as the output format. If you want fastq, the output filename needs to end with "fastq".

I suggest you post the first sequence in the reads.fna and reads.qual so we can see what's going on.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Does the subsampling tool randomly subsample reads? The program I am using now (Geneious) only takes the first specified % of reads and does not randomize.

Thank you,
              Marisa

Comment

Originally posted by Marisa_Miller View Post
                Hi Brian,

Does the subsampling tool randomly subsample reads? The program I am using now (Geneious) only takes the first specified % of reads and does not randomize.

Thank you,
                Marisa
                Yes, it randomly subsamples. You can set the RNG seed with "sampleseed=NUMBER" if you want deterministic random sampling; by default, the seed is random.

Reformat can also give the first X reads with the "reads=X" flag, or combine the reads=X and samplerate=Y to subsample a fraction of the first X reads, etc.

Comment

Hey Brian!

So, to subsample a set of PE reads to reduce overall file size (creating quick running data set for a workshop), this would suffice?

reformat.sh in1=x1.fq in2=x2.fq out1=y1.fq out2=y2.fq reads=-1 samplerate=0.1 int=f

It would: Keep parings intact, give me 1/10 the data overall, ensure no interleaving (though I expect assigning the pairings at the beginning would do this as well)

I already did a quick quality trimming with:
                  reformat.sh in1=x1.fastq in2=x2.fastq out1=y1.fastq out2=y2.fastq outsingle=singletons.fq qtrim
                  =rl trimq=10 minlength=50

Edit: Seems to have worked!

-rw-rw-r-- 1 jpummil jpummil 2.0G Feb 24 13:06 L001_R1_001_Qt.fastq
                  -rw-rw-r-- 1 jpummil jpummil 2.0G Feb 24 13:06 L001_R2_001_Qt.fastq

-rw-rw-r-- 1 jpummil jpummil 199M Feb 24 13:43 L001_R1_001_Sub.fastq
                  -rw-rw-r-- 1 jpummil jpummil 199M Feb 24 13:43 L001_R2_001_Sub.fastq

And it ran just fine in SPAdes.
                  Last edited by jpummil; 02-24-2015, 11:59 AM. Reason: New info...

Comment

Yep, that's the correct approach. The "reads=-1" flag is not necessary (that's the default), and "int=f" also gets forced automatically when you have dual input files.

Comment

addslash=t problem

Hi Brian,

I tried to use reformat to add /1 and /2 to paired read names and a space was added between the name and the slash and this does not work for the assembler.

i.e.
                      want name/1 but get name /1

how to fix this?

Thanks,
                      Rod

Comment

Hi Rod,

There is currently no way to fix that. I specifically made it that way to replicate the name structure of real Illumina reads. For paired reads, many tools or formats (such as sam) require both to have exactly matching names, excluding anything after the first whitespace (such as a 1 or 2). Most aligners, therefore, trim everything after the first whitespace, though with BBMap you can disable this with the "keepnames" flag.

What are you doing that requires no space? I could add an option for that, but I'm interested in why.

Comment

Hi Brian,

I'm using the Mira assembler to assemble Illumina MiSeq reads I got from NCBI/SRA. I use "fastq-dump --split-files -F xxxx.sra" to extract the reads and get two files. Each set of paired end reads have exactly the same name, and mira needs the /1 and /2 added onto the reads and gives an error if it detects reads with the same name.

Thanks for your quick reply,
                          Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rodf View Post
                            Hi Brian,

I'm using the Mira assembler to assemble Illumina MiSeq reads I got from NCBI/SRA. I use "fastq-dump --split-files -F xxxx.sra" to extract the reads and get two files. Each set of paired end reads have exactly the same name, and mira needs the /1 and /2 added onto the reads and gives an error if it detects reads with the same name.

Thanks for your quick reply,
                            Rod
                            Rod,

You can now use the flags "addslash=t slashspace=f" together to accomplish that.

As an unrelated note, reformat now supports the "stoptag" flag, so it can process a sam file and add the stop coordinate of the read to the optional tags, prefixed by "YS:i:".

Comment

Percent identity filter?

Hi is there a way to filter sam/bam filters by percent identity?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses