Is there a way to report the right-most end of an alignment in a bam file? The position given is the left-most part of the alignment, but I need to know where the right-end falls in the reference. I know this can be done with the CIGAR string, but I'm concerned that I don't fully understand how the CIGAR string works with regards to hard & soft clipping, as well as what its reporting with regards to chimeric alignments. I think it might be easy to get this wrong if I'm not careful, and if there is an already existing, robust & convenient tool or method I'd prefer using that.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
The easiest way to do this is to map with BBMap, using the "stoptag" flag, which will make it write an extra tag to each line prefixed by YS:i: which gives the read's stop location. I don't currently have a way to do that for existing sam/bam files, but I may incorporate it into reformat.
This is the code I use:
But, as you said, it gets more complicated when you have clipped reads:Code:public static int calcCigarLength(String cigar, boolean includeHardClip){ if(cigar==null){return 0;} int len=0; int current=0; for(int i=0; i<cigar.length(); i++){ char c=cigar.charAt(i); if(Character.isDigit(c)){ current=(current*10)+(c-'0'); }else{ if(c=='M' || c=='=' || c=='X' || c=='D' || c=='N' || c=='S'){ len+=current; }else if (c=='H'){ if(includeHardClip){len+=current;} }else if(c=='I'){ //do nothing }else if(c=='P'){ throw new RuntimeException("Unhandled cigar symbol: "+c+"\n"+cigar+"\n"); //'P' is currently poorly defined }else{ throw new RuntimeException("Unhandled cigar symbol: "+c+"\n"+cigar+"\n"); } current=0; } } return len; }
Different aligners calculate pos differently for clipped reads which is why I have flags for counting or not counting hard- and soft-clipped bases.Code:public static String makeStopTag(int pos, int seqLength, String cigar, boolean perfect){ return "YS:i:"+(pos+((cigar==null || perfect) ? seqLength : -countLeadingClip(cigar, false)+calcCigarLength(cigar, false))-1); } public static int countLeadingClip(String cigar, boolean includeHardClip){ if(cigar==null){return 0;} int len=0; int current=0; for(int i=0; i<cigar.length(); i++){ char c=cigar.charAt(i); if(Character.isLetter(c) || c=='='){ if((includeHardClip && c=='H') || (SUBTRACT_LEADING_SOFT_CLIP && c=='S')){ len+=current; }else{ break; } current=0; }else{ current=(current*10)+(c-'0'); } } return len; }Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 03-18-2015, 01:21 PM.
-
This script below based on python pysam should do it. It adds a YS tag with the end position of the read (mocking Brian's answer).Originally posted by jmartin View PostIs there a way to report the right-most end of an alignment in a bam file?
Save the script as addReadEndToBam.py (or whatever). It will print to stdout in BAM format.
Example usage:
This is based on pysam 0.8.1:Code:addReadEndToBam.py in.bam > out.bam # Example output alignment: M00886:29:000000000-A95CG:1:2103:5504:6001 89 LmjF.01 4 0 34M = 4 0 CCCTAACCCTAACCTTGACCCTAACCCTATCCCT FB0AA0AAB1BBBA11GFCGFAB1>B1>1>>>>> XT:A:R NM:i:2 SM:i:0 AM:i:0 X0:i:5 X1:i:0 XM:i:2 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 MD:Z:14C14A4 YS:i:37
Code:#!/usr/bin/env python import pysam import sys insam= sys.argv[1] samfile = pysam.AlignmentFile(insam, "rb") outfile = pysam.AlignmentFile("-", "wb", template=samfile) for aln in samfile: ys= aln.reference_end if not ys: ys= -1 aln.setTag('YS', ys) outfile.write(aln) samfile.close() outfile.close() sys.exit()
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
53 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment