No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enriching bacterial RNA from infection samples

Hi all,

I am working with RNA samples from in vitro infections of cells with bacteria. I would like to sequence the bacterial component of these samples. From a previous sequencing effort, I know that the vast majority (>99%) of the RNA comes from the host (eukaryotic) cells.

I previously attempted to deplete the eukaryotic and prokaryotic ribosomal RNA, as well as Poly-A transcripts, to leave only bacterial non-ribosomal RNA, but this did not prove sufficient and the vast majority of the RNA is still eukaryotic. Instead, I'm now considering the opposite strategy of enriching the bacterial RNA prior to sequencing.

From the data I have, I know that the amount of bacterial RNA that I actually want (i.e. non-ribosomal bacterial RNA) is in the range of ~1ng upwards per sample. One option that I am exploring to selectively enrich this RNA is the use of the SureSelect RNA Capture kit from Agilent (or a similar kit) using probes covering the whole genome of the bacterium.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a similar approach, or with enriching bacterial RNA from mixed samples generally? Will the SureSelect kit, or a similar kit, be able to handle an input as low as 1ng if it accounts for less than 1% of the sample?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated! Thanks
    Last edited by adam_ie; 04-09-2015, 05:49 AM.

I previously attempted to deplete the eukaryotic and prokaryotic ribosomal RNA, as well as Poly-A transcripts, to leave only bacterial non-ribosomal RNA, but this did not prove sufficient and the vast majority of the RNA is still eukaryotic. Instead, I'm now considering the opposite strategy of enriching the bacterial RNA prior to sequencing.
    I wonder if you have used this commercial product which follows a similar approach: http://www.lifetechnologies.com/au/e...tic-hosts.html

From the data I have, I know that the amount of bacterial RNA that I actually want (i.e. non-ribosomal bacterial RNA) is in the range of ~1ng upwards per sample. One option that I am exploring to selectively enrich this RNA is the use of the SureSelect RNA Capture kit from Agilent (or a similar kit) using probes covering the whole genome of the bacterium.
    In theory this should work as long as you have enough RNA (mix of host and microbe) equivalent to mRNA input requirement of the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
      I wonder if you have used this commercial product which follows a similar approach: http://www.lifetechnologies.com/au/e...tic-hosts.html
      Yep, that's exactly the method I tried, without success. The proportion of eurkaryotic RNA seems to just be too high, even though it was considerably depleted with the above kit.

I'm now thinking that enrichment of the bacterial RNA is the only way to go in this case.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
        by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
        05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
      • seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
      0 responses