SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle shaped DNA Library? Squall Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 03-31-2015 10:54 AM
Does non-Y-shaped adapter work for Illumina library? skblazer Sample Prep / Library Generation 12 10-27-2011 07:06 PM
QC of cDNA library prep for GA cybog337 Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 06-08-2011 11:10 AM
3'UTR library or random primed cDNA library for quantification? Rosanne82 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 06-26-2009 06:27 AM

Old 12-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #1
seq198

Default Hedgehog shaped cDNA library

Hi there,

I would like to ask whether someone has ever experienced a similar problem with hexamer primed cDNA libraries?

We have prepared a cDNA library starting with high quality RNA from mice (RIN = 9). In the final QC, we loaded a fraction of the lib onto a fragment analyzer. As you can see in the attached pic, the lib resembles a hedgehog with peaks every 10bp. When we sequenced the lib, we found that the peaks consisted of a decamer (GTATATACTA). Sometime up to 40 of these decamers are present. Thus, it´s not an issue of the fragment analyzer.

We have really no idea what this could be. We see that for different samples, but it´s not consistent. Some days the lib looks perfect, the other day we get this shape.

I´m really looking forward to your opinions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (39.1 KB, 44 views)
seq198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
nucacidhunter

This seems to be a rare observation. Providing more info such as workflow, input quantity, kit and posting full sequences of few of those decapolymer reads might give clues on what might be cause.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
seq198

We are following exactly NEB kit instructions (NEBNext® Ultra™ RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina® and NEBNext® Ultra™ Directional RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina), we start with 500 ng of total RNA. Anyone else seeing this?
seq198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
vincr

Hi all,

Has anyone found an explanation for this? We are having the same problem and can't seem to find an explanation.

We have Drop-seq libraries that we have prepared with the Nextera XT kit, they all have an exactly similar pattern of hedgehog-like spikes (see attachement).

We have tried to use a new Nextera kit but it does the same effect. The cDNA before library prep did not have these spikes.

I am wondering if it could be a bioanalyzer issue, so I cleaned the electrodes and ran a diagnostics but did not find anything suspicious.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Many thanks!
Vince
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 13.14.03.png (92.1 KB, 9 views)
vincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
pmiguel

Usually it either means your library is "bottomed-out" or you have some spike-in controls of fixed length. By "bottomed-out" I mean amplified from a very limited pool of input amplicons.

As to what the spikes actually are, I always suspect they are some sort of adapter-dimer concatamers. But that is just speculation on my part.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote