SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using Cuffdiff with biological replicates Jane M RNA Sequencing 0 09-01-2011 01:42 AM
overdispersion and biological replicates shilez Bioinformatics 3 08-29-2011 08:43 AM
overdispersion and biological replicates shilez RNA Sequencing 0 08-25-2011 07:10 PM
cuffdiff with biological replicates PFS Bioinformatics 1 06-14-2011 07:51 PM
Inconsistency between biological replicates Nicholas_ Bioinformatics 1 04-06-2011 04:18 AM

Old 10-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
hypatia

Default DEG for paired samples, biological replicates

Hi.
I am new to the seq world, although with experience in microarray aand teh omic world.

I want to know which program is available to compare RNA seq data when you have biological replicates and paired samples. I have samples for 3 patients, 2 samples each, control and lesion. I have being playing with cufflinks but not sure if it does handle this kind of experimental design.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Cole Trapnell

Cuffdiff now supports replicates, so it should handle this sort of setup
Cole Trapnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
Simon Anders

Cole, if cufflinks can handle paired samples, I'd be really impressed, but I wonder if you simply were to fast with your reply and overlooked the fact that the question was about paired samples. If not, please correct me.

For readers unfamiliar with the issue, a quick reminder of text-book knowledge with an example for a paired t test:
Imagine you have 5 sample, for which you measure some quantitative trait before and after a certain treatment. Let's say this trait varies according to a normal distribution and the data looks like this

Code:
                    S1    S2    S3    S4    S5
before treatment  4.00  7.30 11.13  8.50  9.50
after treatment   4.72  8.44 12.04  9.66 10.65
The mean is 8.09 before and 9.10 after treatment. The (pooled) standard deviation of the data is 2.7, and hence, the difference of the means (1.01) is not significant. ( t = (9.10-8.09)/2.7=.37, p=.36 )

However, we did not use the sample pairing here. If we want to do this, we first take the differences and then the average, i.e., instead of subtracting the averages, we subtract each treated value from the corresponding untreated value.

The differences are:
Code:
0.72 1.13 0.91 1.15 1.14
The mean is 1.01 as before, but the standard deviation of the difference is only .19, and hence, the difference is clearly significant.
To come back to DEGs: Whenever samples are paired (i.e., the same sample is measured twice under different conditions) and unless the difference between the samples is typically much smaller than the effect of the treatment, we dramatically loose statistical power if our method is unable to make use of the pairing information.

To my knowledge, none of the currently released tools can do this, though.

We have recently expanded our DESeq package to be able to fit generalized linear models (GLMs), and these can be used to model the pairing. Unfortunately, our method to estimate the dispersion (which, for count data, takes the role of the standard deviation of the differences in the example above) does not work for paired designs. We have some ideas how to get around this and are testing them at the moment, but it does not yet work as well as we would like it.

As far as I know, the edgeR people seem to pursue similar ideas.

DESeq offers a function for a "variance stabilizing transformation" which translates the count data onto a continuous scale such that it becomes approximately homoscedastic. This allows then to use tools that worked well for microarrays, such as pairwise t-tests or Smyth's 'limma' package. However, the transformation costs power and introduces bias in case the library sizes are too different. Still, it may a good way to get started.

Simon
Simon Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Cole Trapnell

Cuffdiff doesn't explicitly support sample pairing, hypatia, but I suggest you try the newest version of Cuffdiff (0.9.1) if you haven't already, as it should get you started pretty quickly. You may see fewer differentially expressed genes due to a loss in power, but hopefully being able to find differentially spliced genes or those undergoing shifts in promoter preference will make up for it
Cole Trapnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
hypatia

My first objective is really differential expression, specially in the lower range of expression and I already know that in my disease model, the correlation of each patient fold change is not high, around 0.4, so the paired model will make a huge difference here.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Davis McC

Default GLMs in edgeR

Hi hypatia and others

We have recently implemented GLM methods in edgeR, so the package can now deal with paired designs as well as other more complicated designs as well. One of the PhD students in our division has been working on using Cox-Reid conditional inference to estimate the dispersion parameter for the negative binomial model. This approach does take into account the paired nature of the samples (or indeed works whatever the experimental design) and has been giving us very reasonable results in our testing.

Following Simon's work with DESeq, the edgeR methods can now also add a gene abundance-related trend on the dispersion estimates.

These new methods, the GLMs with CR estimation of the dispersion (plus a whole lot of other improvements), are all implemented in the current development version of edgeR in the Bioconductor repository. They will be rolled out into the release version with the release of Bioconductor 2.7 on 18 October.

We'll be adding to the documentation over the next couple of weeks to get some examples in there of using these methods on paired designs and other more complicated experimental designs.

The new edgeR methods have been developed with exactly this sort of application in mind, so I certainly encourage you to give them a try. We'd be really interested in how they work for you.

Best regards
Davis
Davis McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
lpachter

Hi Hypatia,

From my current reading of the literature, it seems to me that baySeq may be a good solution for you right now:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/11/422/

Regarding Cufflinks, I would like to correct Simon who is not a developer of the program and therefore may not understand it completely (Simon, please correct me if I am wrong). It is not accurate to say that it does not support sample pairing.
What Cufflinks does is estimate expression values according to a generative model of the sequencing process, one that currently takes into account sequencing bias of various kinds. The value of paired samples is that the experimental bias should be similar in the pairs, and this will be implicitly "learned" by Cufflinks, so that its not clear to me a priori that it will produce inferior results to methods that learn the distributions of counts.
lpachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Simon Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpachter View Post
From my current reading of the literature, it seems to me that baySeq may be a good solution for you right now:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/11/422/
I am afraid, no. BaySeq's paper abstract advertises its ability to deal with more complex designs but I looked a bit closer at the paper and it seems that it focuses on nested one-way designs and cannot deal with crossed factors (two-way anova) as one would need for paired samples. At least if I have understood its approach correctly.

Quote:
Regarding Cufflinks, I would like to correct Simon who is not a developer of the program and therefore may not understand it completely (Simon, please correct me if I am wrong). It is not accurate to say that it does not support sample pairing.
What Cufflinks does is estimate expression values according to a generative model of the sequencing process, one that currently takes into account sequencing bias of various kinds. The value of paired samples is that the experimental bias should be similar in the pairs, and this will be implicitly "learned" by Cufflinks, so that its not clear to me a priori that it will produce inferior results to methods that learn the distributions of counts.
Actually, I did not say that it does not support paired sampling. Cole said so (and he is a developer ;-) ).

I'm a bit puzzled what you might mean by "implicit learning", and by the fact that you talk about sequencing bias. (The value of paired designs, as I understand the term, is not to reduce bias but to reduce variance.) Anyway, I guess, this discussion has to wait until you have written up and published the method behind the new biological replicate functionality.

Simon
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
lpachter

Regarding baySeq, I am not an author on that software so I cannot speak for the details of it. I just mentioned it because it seemed like they do a lot of things right on a lot of aspects of differential expression analysis. They actually say in their paper that they do not handle paired samples, but as you pointed out no program currently does, and many of the other details matter as well.

The relationship between bias and variance is that bias causes variance. For an explanation of this see
http://genomebiology.com/2010/11/5/R50
lpachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
f1boston

Hi Davis,

do you have any updates about the documentation for using edgeR in dataset with paired samples design?

You also mentioned some "very reasonable results in our testing"... are these results publicly available now?

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis McC View Post
Hi hypatia and others

We have recently implemented GLM methods in edgeR, so the package can now deal with paired designs as well as other more complicated designs as well. One of the PhD students in our division has been working on using Cox-Reid conditional inference to estimate the dispersion parameter for the negative binomial model. This approach does take into account the paired nature of the samples (or indeed works whatever the experimental design) and has been giving us very reasonable results in our testing.

Following Simon's work with DESeq, the edgeR methods can now also add a gene abundance-related trend on the dispersion estimates.

These new methods, the GLMs with CR estimation of the dispersion (plus a whole lot of other improvements), are all implemented in the current development version of edgeR in the Bioconductor repository. They will be rolled out into the release version with the release of Bioconductor 2.7 on 18 October.

We'll be adding to the documentation over the next couple of weeks to get some examples in there of using these methods on paired designs and other more complicated experimental designs.

The new edgeR methods have been developed with exactly this sort of application in mind, so I certainly encourage you to give them a try. We'd be really interested in how they work for you.

Best regards
Davis
f1boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Davis McC

Hi f1boston

The edgeR functions for analysing differential expression with a paired samples design are documented in the package. We are planning on updating the User's Guide substantially to include better examples of using the GLM methods with paired and other experimental designs, but unfortunately this has taken a back seat while we have been putting a lot of work into the development of the new methods.

We don't have any publicly available results as such - but all of the methods are available through Bioconductor so anyone could test them themselves. I certainly encourage you to do so! Finding a suitable yardstick for comparison with other/previous methods is difficult - hence why I said that the results look reasonable. They do look reasonable, but the actual 'truth' is not known in the datasets we have seen. The important point is that the GLM methods can properly analyse paired designs, whereas our older methods could not.

If you have more specific questions that I may be able to help you with please feel free to get in touch.

Best regards
Davis
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
sheng

Default How many pairs is need to gain statistic power for paired study using GLM methods

Hi Davis,

I was wondering using edgeR GLM method for paired study, how many paired would be required for gaining certain statistic power?

Cheers,
Sheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis McC View Post
Hi f1boston

The edgeR functions for analysing differential expression with a paired samples design are documented in the package. We are planning on updating the User's Guide substantially to include better examples of using the GLM methods with paired and other experimental designs, but unfortunately this has taken a back seat while we have been putting a lot of work into the development of the new methods.

We don't have any publicly available results as such - but all of the methods are available through Bioconductor so anyone could test them themselves. I certainly encourage you to do so! Finding a suitable yardstick for comparison with other/previous methods is difficult - hence why I said that the results look reasonable. They do look reasonable, but the actual 'truth' is not known in the datasets we have seen. The important point is that the GLM methods can properly analyse paired designs, whereas our older methods could not.

If you have more specific questions that I may be able to help you with please feel free to get in touch.

Best regards
Davis
sheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Davis McC

Hi Sheng

edgeR can indeed be used to analyse RNA-seq data from paired designs, but your question is far, far too vague for me to be able to give you any sensible answer about how many samples you need.

In general, the answer is "as many as you can afford".

Cheers
Davis
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
aggp11

Simon,

I am sorry if this sounds stupid, but how does the experimental design of the poster differ from the pasillaGenes example in the DESeq documentation? I am probably not able to get a handle on what the poster might mean by paired samples, could you help me understand what we mean by a paired sample experimental design?

Thanks,
Praful

Last edited by aggp11; 01-11-2012 at 11:06 AM.
aggp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
aggp11

Simon,

Nevermind, I think I know understand the issue now.

Thanks,
Praful
aggp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #16
sadiexiaoyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Anders View Post
Cole, if cufflinks can handle paired samples, I'd be really impressed, but I wonder if you simply were to fast with your reply and overlooked the fact that the question was about paired samples. If not, please correct me.

For readers unfamiliar with the issue, a quick reminder of text-book knowledge with an example for a paired t test:
Imagine you have 5 sample, for which you measure some quantitative trait before and after a certain treatment. Let's say this trait varies according to a normal distribution and the data looks like this

Code:
                    S1    S2    S3    S4    S5
before treatment  4.00  7.30 11.13  8.50  9.50
after treatment   4.72  8.44 12.04  9.66 10.65
The mean is 8.09 before and 9.10 after treatment. The (pooled) standard deviation of the data is 2.7, and hence, the difference of the means (1.01) is not significant. ( t = (9.10-8.09)/2.7=.37, p=.36 )

However, we did not use the sample pairing here. If we want to do this, we first take the differences and then the average, i.e., instead of subtracting the averages, we subtract each treated value from the corresponding untreated value.

The differences are:
Code:
0.72 1.13 0.91 1.15 1.14
The mean is 1.01 as before, but the standard deviation of the difference is only .19, and hence, the difference is clearly significant.
To come back to DEGs: Whenever samples are paired (i.e., the same sample is measured twice under different conditions) and unless the difference between the samples is typically much smaller than the effect of the treatment, we dramatically loose statistical power if our method is unable to make use of the pairing information.

To my knowledge, none of the currently released tools can do this, though.

We have recently expanded our DESeq package to be able to fit generalized linear models (GLMs), and these can be used to model the pairing. Unfortunately, our method to estimate the dispersion (which, for count data, takes the role of the standard deviation of the differences in the example above) does not work for paired designs. We have some ideas how to get around this and are testing them at the moment, but it does not yet work as well as we would like it.

As far as I know, the edgeR people seem to pursue similar ideas.

DESeq offers a function for a "variance stabilizing transformation" which translates the count data onto a continuous scale such that it becomes approximately homoscedastic. This allows then to use tools that worked well for microarrays, such as pairwise t-tests or Smyth's 'limma' package. However, the transformation costs power and introduces bias in case the library sizes are too different. Still, it may a good way to get started.

Simon
Dear Simon,

I tried to use edgeR to analyse paired samples, and I also would like to use DESeq, but I just found "multi-factor designs" using GLM in the DESeq manual. This cannot be used for paired samples, right? Could you give me any suggestion to analyse paired samples using DESeq? I noticed this thread was posted long time ago, so maybe there is new method....?
Thank you!

Best,
Sadiexiaoyu
sadiexiaoyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Simon Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiexiaoyu View Post
I tried to use edgeR to analyse paired samples, and I also would like to use DESeq, but I just found "multi-factor designs" using GLM in the DESeq manual. This cannot be used for paired samples, right? Could you give me any suggestion to analyse paired samples using DESeq? I noticed this thread was posted long time ago, so maybe there is new method....?
Sure, we fixed the issue with the dispersion estimator long ago.

Let's say you have 2n samples, which come in n pairs. For example, we have a treatment and a control sample from each of n subjects. Then you proceed as follows:

Make a design frame, i.e., a table describing the 2n samples, with one row per sample and two columns, say, "subject" (with levels "Subject_1", "Subject_2", "Subject_3", ...) and "treatment" (with levels "no" and "yes") and pass this as second argument to "newCountDataSet" as shown in the vignette's section on GLMs. Then fit two GLMs, namely "count ~ subject" as reduced model and "count ~ subject + treatment" as full model and compare them, again exactly as shown in the vignette (where we have "libType" instead of "subject"). Voilà, a paired test.

AFAIK, it works the same way in edgeR, only that you don't specify the reduced formula explicitely but rather, edgeR simply drops the last term in the full formula to get the reduced one, i.e., "treatment" has to come after "subject".
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
sadiexiaoyu

Quote:

Let's say you have 2n samples, which come in n pairs. For example, we have a treatment and a control sample from each of n subjects. Then you proceed as follows:

Make a design frame, i.e., a table describing the 2n samples, with one row per sample and two columns, say, "subject" (with levels "Subject_1", "Subject_2", "Subject_3", ...) and "treatment" (with levels "no" and "yes") and pass this as second argument to "newCountDataSet" as shown in the vignette's section on GLMs. Then fit two GLMs, namely "count ~ subject" as reduced model and "count ~ subject + treatment" as full model and compare them, again exactly as shown in the vignette (where we have "libType" instead of "subject"). Voilà, a paired test.

AFAIK, it works the same way in edgeR, only that you don't specify the reduced formula explicitely but rather, edgeR simply drops the last term in the full formula to get the reduced one, i.e., "treatment" has to come after "subject".
Dear Simon,

Thank you for your answer. But I still did not get it clearly.
1) Do you mean using design like this:
>design=data.frame(subject=c("sample1","sample2","sample3"),treatment=c("b,n","b,n","b,n"))
> design
subject treatment
1 sample1 b,n
2 sample2 b,n
3 sample3 b,n
However, my count_data "sample1b“, ”sample1n","sample2b","sample2n","sample3b","sample3n",how can I combine my count_data with this design?

Best,

Sadiexiaoyu
Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
sadiexiaoyu

Quote:

And my second question is,
I tried to use DESeq to do this paired analysis in the following (using DESeq manual "multi-factor comparison" as reference), is this right?
> x<-read.delim("matrix for DESeq_n_b_new.txt",row.names=1,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
> head(x)
X1b X2b X3b X1n X2n X3n
gene1 1562 1380 1533 821 799 820
gene2 74 79 83 51 57 45
gene3 997 837 1230 700 513 705
gene4 83 59 81 49 71 67
gene5 517 456 512 301 322 307
gene6 0 0 2 0 0 0
> design=data.frame(row.names=colnames(x),treatment=c("b","b","b","n","n","n"),subject=c("sample1","sample2","sample3"))
> design
treatment subject
X1b b sample1
X2b b sample2
X3b b sample3
X1n n sample1
X2n n sample2
X3n n sample3
> cdsFull=newCountDataSet(x,design)
and using
> fit1=fitNbinomGLMs(cdsFilt,count~subject+treatment)
> fit0=fitNbinomGLMs(cdsFilt,count~subject)
> pvalsGLM=nbinomGLMTest(fit1,fit0)
> padjGLM=p.adjust(pvalsGLM,method="BH")
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
sadiexiaoyu

Quote:

And my third question is,
You said "edgeR simply drops the last term in the full formula to get the reduced one", is that mean, for example, if I set
design<-model.matrix(~subject+treatment) in edge R, then edgeR just get "treatment" with adjusting "subject" differences;
if I set
design<-model.matrix(~treatment+subject) in edgeR, then edgeR will get "subject" with adjusting "treatment" differences.
Am I right?

Actually, I used
design<-model.matrix(~subject+treatment) in edgeR, and I get the following results:
> topTags(lrt)
Coefficient: treatment n
genes logFC logCPM LR PValue FDR
15498 gene10 -3.460666 8.556419 400.1173 5.192712e-89 9.278857e-85
20675 gene8 4.608737 7.967542 394.4721 8.796487e-88 7.859221e-84
15990 gene5 -3.287753 5.762309 377.7188 3.904981e-84 2.325937e-80
731 gene71 -3.515135 7.259228 376.8333 6.087180e-84 2.719295e-80
17873 gene889 -3.560003 7.921179 363.5712 4.698794e-81 1.679255e-77
334 gene34 -3.320911 8.088810 362.5978 7.654637e-81 2.279679e-77
22052 gene2272 -3.718390 8.846441 356.9188 1.319823e-79 3.369132e-76
8133 gene89 -3.004279 6.273042 336.3495 3.980106e-75 8.890063e-72
23453 gene275 -3.576274 7.439596 330.8462 6.287517e-74 1.248352e-70
5681 gene56 -3.205917 6.550010 330.3990 7.868486e-74 1.406020e-70

> colnames(design)
[1] "(Intercept)" "sample2" "sample3" "treatmentn"

I think the logFC is the foldchange between treatment n vs treatment b, using sample1 as the baseline for adjusting the differences among individuals. Is that right?

Best,

Sadiexiaoyu

Tags
biological replicates, differential expression