Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • krobison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 734

    #1

    TopHat 1.1 failing on colorspace SE reads

    I'm trying to analyze a single end dataset from SRA with the brand new version of TopHat (1.1). TopHat crashes with the below error message, and looking at this & the code it appears that even with single ends it is trying to run a validation check on the 2nd set of reads


    Code:
      File "/usr/local/bin/tophat", line 2093, in main
        params.read_params = check_reads(params.read_params, left_reads_list + "," + right_reads_list)
    TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

    If I replace line 2093 with

    Code:
            if params.skip_check_reads == False:
                if right_reads_list !=None:
                    params.read_params = check_reads(params.read_params, left_reads_list + "," + right_reads_list)
                else:
                    params.read_params = check_reads(params.read_params, left_reads_list)
    Then I get farther but hit a new error

    Code:
    Length mismatch between sequence and quality strings for SRR040290.1 VAB_ugc_85__100_137__138_121__123_bc_Frag50_solid0032_20090715_ugc_121__1231_49_36 length=50 (51 vs 51).
    I'm too worn out to puzzle how to get past that one -- my best guess is this is related to the "extra" colorspace value which bowtie option "--col-keepends" deals with
  • kopi-o
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 319

    #2
    Yep, I just got the same error message (the first one; haven't tried to modify the code). I'm also using single-end color space reads (.csfasta + .qual)

    Comment

    • Telor
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 6

      #3
      Yes, Just to confirm that you are not the only one, I'm getting this error too, but on standard single end reads (not color-space).

      Comment

      • sunnyjoy
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 1

        #4
        Google search the same error message leads me here. Same problem with single-end color space reads.

        Comment

        • DerSeb
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 44

          #5
          same here.

          Comment

          • Daehwan
            Member
            • Oct 2010
            • 27

            #6
            Hi guys,

            I'm Daehwan, who made this bug and fixed it, you can grab a fixed version at http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/index.html

            Thanks

            Comment

            • krobison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 734

              #7
              Thanks for the rapid fix!!

              Comment

              • DerSeb
                Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 44

                #8
                great, i will try it right now! thx for the great support!

                Comment

                • Telor
                  Junior Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 6

                  #9
                  Great. Thanks for the speedy fix. It looks like its working fine so far (fingers crossed )

                  Comment

                  • DerSeb
                    Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 44

                    #10
                    Hello. I can now successfully start and get passed the first error encountered here. However, I still run into the next error mentioned above:

                    Code:
                    Tue Oct  5 16:10:32 2010] Beginning TopHat run (v1.1.0)
                    -----------------------------------------------
                    [Tue Oct  5 16:10:32 2010] Preparing output location /home/schaefer/tophat/RBM20/Sample14//
                    [Tue Oct  5 16:10:32 2010] Checking for Bowtie index files
                    [Tue Oct  5 16:10:32 2010] Checking for reference FASTA file
                    [Tue Oct  5 16:10:32 2010] Checking for Bowtie
                    	Bowtie version:			 0.12.3.0
                    [Tue Oct  5 16:10:32 2010] Checking for Samtools
                    	Samtools version:		 0.1.8.0
                    [Tue Oct  5 16:10:39 2010] Checking reads
                    
                    Error encountered parsing file ...fastq:
                     Length mismatch between sequence and quality strings for 853_8_25/1 (49 vs 49).
                    When I check the fastq file, everything seems fine:

                    Code:
                    @853_8_25/1
                    GNNGTGNTNCANNCGTNNGAGNNCACNNACANCCGANNACGNAAAGNAN
                    +
                    *""%%%"%"%%""%%%""%)&""%%%""%%+"&'%&""'(%"'))'"&"
                    @853_8_35/1
                    CNNACGNANACNNACCNNCCGNNTAANNNNGNGAACNNCNANCNCNNTN
                    +
                    :""=54"@"=+""A98""745"";98""""2"=@>8""<"4"<"6"";"
                    @853_8_75/1
                    GNNACCNCNTCNNAACNNTACNNCGANNGTGNGGACNNGTCNCGAGNCN
                    +
                    ="";<7"0";4""=;:"">;=""94<"".,5".;26""9%)"(%(("("
                    @853_8_96/1
                    ...
                    Is this error still occuring to someone else?

                    Comment

                    • Daehwan
                      Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 27

                      #11
                      DerSeb, what's your command?

                      Comment

                      • DerSeb
                        Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 44

                        #12
                        This is my command:

                        Code:
                        tophat -G /data/genetics/datasets/genome-annotation/ensembl-56/Rattus_norvegicus.RGSC3.4.56.gtf -o /home/schaefer/tophat/Sample14 -C rn4_c /home/schaefer/tophat/fastq/Sample_14_Qual.fastq

                        Comment

                        • Daehwan
                          Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 27

                          #13
                          Since you are using -C, which is for colorspace read, you need to use colorspace reads instead of nucleotide reads.

                          Comment

                          • DerSeb
                            Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 44

                            #14
                            I see... I converted my CS reads to fastq, using scripts supplied with MAQ (solid2fastq.pl or fq_all2std.pl csfa2std). They convert the cs values to letters mimicking a "pseudo" genetic sequence.

                            I will look into this and see how I can change this.

                            Thx!

                            Comment

                            • DerSeb
                              Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 44

                              #15
                              I have now started a thread dedicated to reformatting SOLiD reads for TopHat:

                              Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

                              Comment

                              Latest Articles

                              Collapse

                              • SEQadmin2
                                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                by SEQadmin2


                                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                ...
                                09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
                              • SEQadmin2
                                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                by SEQadmin2




                                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                              ad_right_rmr

                              Collapse

                              News

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
                              0 responses
                              10 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              32 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                              0 responses
                              27 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                              1 response
                              48 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Working...