No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming changes in CASAVA

Hi everyone,

my name is Semyon and I work in Bioinformatics at Illumina. Our team has prepared a document describing the major changes planned in CASAVA 1.8. The document is available at iCom and attached to this post. I will do my best to follow the thread and answer any questions that you may have. Early access of the release is planned for late February.

The key changes are:

1. The bcl converter will be distributed with CASAVA.
    2. The converter will produce compressed FASTQ files rather than qseq files.
    3. The FASTQ quality score encoding will use the standard offset value of 33 rather than the previous Illumina-specific offset value of 64.
    4. If samples have been multiplexed in a sequencing run using indexing, the converter will also perform demultiplexing.
    5. The output files will be in a directory structure organized by project and sample rather than lane and tile.
    6. The GERALD summary file will be modified in accordance with the new directory structure.
    7. The sequence output of post-alignment analysis will be a set of BAM files.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hooray for changes 1, 2, 3 and 7 :-)
    d

Comment

Originally posted by dawe View Post
      Hooray for changes 1, 2, 3 and 7 :-)
      d
      +1

My only concern is that the read names in the FASTQ files will not include the /1 or /2 suffix. This means both the forward and reverse reads get the same identifier, with the number (1 or 2) in the read description (i.e. in the @ line but after a white space). There are nice symmetries with the SAM/BAM format. However, this will mean any existing scripts/tools/pipelines expecting the suffices will need changing.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
        +1

My only concern is that the read names in the FASTQ files will not include the /1 or /2 suffix. This means both the forward and reverse reads get the same identifier, with the number (1 or 2) in the read description (i.e. in the @ line but after a white space). There are nice symmetries with the SAM/BAM format. However, this will mean any existing scripts/tools/pipelines expecting the suffices will need changing.
        On the other hand, those tools that expect the same identifier but no suffix will not need changing.

Comment

I have a concern about #2. Currently the illumina2srf tool uses the qseq files as input to generate the .srf files which are required for submission of NGS sequencing data to the NCBI or EBI SRAs. Will it still be possible to generate qseqs or would it be possible for the CASAVA team to work with the developers of the sequenceread toolkit to allow it to work directly from the .bcl files?

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
            On the other hand, those tools that expect the same identifier but no suffix will not need changing.
            Fair point

Then there are also probably tools which don't even look at the read names - from memory Velvet just takes an interleaved file (forward then reverse, typically made by merging a separate pair of files), without worrying about how they are named.

The naming issue isn't critical (but it is something to be aware of)

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
              I have a concern about #2. Currently the illumina2srf tool uses the qseq files as input to generate the .srf files which are required for submission of NGS sequencing data to the NCBI or EBI SRAs. Will it still be possible to generate qseqs or would it be possible for the CASAVA team to work with the developers of the sequenceread toolkit to allow it to work directly from the .bcl files?
              I believe gzipped fastq files can also be uploaded...

D

Comment

Originally posted by dawe View Post
                I believe gzipped fastq files can also be uploaded...

D
                For the time being. If you look at the NCBI SRA File Format Guide you will see this statement (in bold) under Section 2.11

Because of the many benefits of container formats, INSDC SRAs intend to cease support for native and fastq forms by 2011.
                They are really pushing submitters to use the containerized binary formats like SRF and SRA.

Comment

From my point of view there are good and bad things in the list:

1,2,3 All good!

4 Not really an issue for us so no feeling either way

5,6 Probably bad (for us at least). Having a folder heirarchy which you can only predict by looking up the sample sheet doesn't make my life any easier. I realise that there are problems with just using technical names for results, but I can see this causing more grief. I'd be interested to see what sort of names you get if you use a blank sample sheet as I guess that that's what we'd do if we want to manage samples and projects from outside the Illumina software.

I take it that in the example posted the run folder at the top of the tree would equate to the current Gerald folder so that it would still be simple to do multiple analysis runs of the same data and get easily separated output?

Also in the example tree why are the BAM files under 'Build' and not 'Aligned'?

7 Good and Bad. I agree that the world seems to have settled on BAM as its file format of choice. The compact size will certainly be welcome, and if we can get SRA/ENA to accept BAM files as submissions then lots of people will be happier - but in the mean time there are a bunch of processing steps which were pretty easy with the old eland output, which will be much harder from a BAM file. Just writing a simple filter to extract some entries from a BAM file and write them out to a new one is really non-trivial if done from scratch, whereas it might just be a grep on an eland file.

Comment

@

Qualitatively speaking, would the @ represent a good thing or a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
                      From my point of view there are good and bad things in the list:

1,2,3 All good!

4 Not really an issue for us so no feeling either way

5,6 Probably bad (for us at least). Having a folder heirarchy which you can only predict by looking up the sample sheet doesn't make my life any easier. I realise that there are problems with just using technical names for results, but I can see this causing more grief. I'd be interested to see what sort of names you get if you use a blank sample sheet as I guess that that's what we'd do if we want to manage samples and projects from outside the Illumina software.

I take it that in the example posted the run folder at the top of the tree would equate to the current Gerald folder so that it would still be simple to do multiple analysis runs of the same data and get easily separated output?

Also in the example tree why are the BAM files under 'Build' and not 'Aligned'?

7 Good and Bad. I agree that the world seems to have settled on BAM as its file format of choice. The compact size will certainly be welcome, and if we can get SRA/ENA to accept BAM files as submissions then lots of people will be happier - but in the mean time there are a bunch of processing steps which were pretty easy with the old eland output, which will be much harder from a BAM file. Just writing a simple filter to extract some entries from a BAM file and write them out to a new one is really non-trivial if done from scratch, whereas it might just be a grep on an eland file.
                      Thank you very much for the feedback! Regarding 5 and 6, if there is no sample sheet, we will have simple default names for the project and the sample. I can send you more detail if you would like.

The motivation behind the change is that we are thinking about increased throughput that will lead to many samples on a single flow cell. The ability to organize the results by project and sample will hopefully be useful. Also, the demultiplexing output is well suited for such a structure.

Running repeated analysis on the same data and getting easily separated output folders will continue to be supported.

The BAM files are under BUILD because they are the result of the post alignment process (sorting is done) and because multiple alignment events (flow cells) can be combined into a single build of CASAVA. The ALIGNED folder will contain the zipped exports.

If you need to parse information out of the BAM file, it would seem that conversion to SAM would get you to the text file that you need.

Thanks again,

Semyon

Comment

Semyon,

Can you please post more information about the directory structure and how you set it up by project/sample names?

Thanks
                        Selen

Comment

Originally posted by selen View Post
                          Semyon,

Can you please post more information about the directory structure and how you set it up by project/sample names?

Thanks
                          Selen

Hi Selen,

The most common use case will be through a sample sheet. Each row of the sample sheet would contain information including Lane, Index, Sample Name, and Project Name. The folder structure would then be created based on the names in the sample sheet. We recommend always having a sample sheet, but if one is not provided, we would use a set of simple default names. We would assume that there is just one project and that each lane contains a separate sample.

A diagram of the actual directory structure was in the appendix of the original attachment, so I am not sure what additional information you may want. Please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks,

Semyon

Comment

Originally posted by skruglyak View Post
                            Hi Selen,

The most common use case will be through a sample sheet. Each row of the sample sheet would contain information including Lane, Index, Sample Name, and Project Name. The folder structure would then be created based on the names in the sample sheet. We recommend always having a sample sheet, but if one is not provided, we would use a set of simple default names. We would assume that there is just one project and that each lane contains a separate sample.

A diagram of the actual directory structure was in the appendix of the original attachment, so I am not sure what additional information you may want. Please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks,

Semyon
                            Thanks Semyon, sample sheet is the key to my question. I assume you give this file as an input along with the config.txt while running bclconverter with the alignment option. Or is it something else?

The user guide for CASAVA1.8 hasn't been released yet, that would clarify most of my questions I bet.

Thanks a lot
                            Selen

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
                              For the time being. If you look at the NCBI SRA File Format Guide you will see this statement (in bold) under Section 2.11

They are really pushing submitters to use the containerized binary formats like SRF and SRA.

those SRF/SRA files are enormous! I guess they don't have storage concerns... but imagine transfering two HiSeq2000 runs in SRF/SRA format

I welcome the updates to CASAVA !

Now if only the OLB could be updated to allow one to train Bustard basecalling on a specific range of cycles and not only the 1st four...
                              Last edited by NGSfan; 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses