No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding UMAP

Hi,

I am fairly new to the single-cell transcriptomics domain and have recently started analyzing my dataset of erythroid precursor cells. The cells that I am working with are in the terminal differentiation phase. The differentiation phases go like this: Proerythroblasts --> Basophilic erythroblasts --> Polychromatic erythroblasts --> orthochromatic erythroblasts. I have obtained a UMAP and roughly annotated it with these cell stages (see the figure). However, I am concerned about the Polychromatic erythroblasts not falling adjacent to the orthochromatic in the UMAP. Is it usual to get such results in a UMAP where cells that should be similar to each other are poles apart in the UMAP?
    Attached Files

The distances between points on UMAP mean little. It is a non-linear dimension reduction. on a PCA plot, you can say the further the points the more different they are. Search "UMAP" https://github.com/crazyhottommy/scR...seq-clustering I have some notes.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I have been told that distance is meaningless in UMAPs, but global topology, structure, and connectivity of the data are conserved. In my case, the Poly and Ortho cells are similar to each other, so should be connected (I assumed). I have read many articles on UMAP preserving the global structure of the data and my data does not show that. Is there a way I can try to understand this through an example? Thanks!

Comment

Since you're studying a differentiation process where some kind of progression between cell stages is expected, I'm a bit concerned that this progression is not apparent on the UMAP. It should be conserved, because as you wrote, UMAP is supposed to keep the connectivity between related populations and differentiation generates a continuum of cells with intermediate states between de defined subtypes.
        Could you try to represent the data on a PCA plot to better see the relationships between the cells?
        Maybe it's also worth checking the different quality parameters of your data and verify that you work only on high quality cells with no doublets, low rRNA / mtRNA content, no dead cells and so on.
        Good luck!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Non-Coding RNA Research and Technologies
          by seqadmin

Non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) do not code for proteins but play important roles in numerous cellular processes including gene silencing, developmental pathways, and more. There are numerous types including microRNA (miRNA), long ncRNA (lncRNA), circular RNA (circRNA), and more. In this article, we discuss innovative ncRNA research and explore recent technological advancements that improve the study of ncRNAs.

Nobel Prize for MicroRNA Discovery
          This week,...
          10-07-2024, 08:07 AM
        • seqadmin
          Recent Developments in Metagenomics
          by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
          09-23-2024, 06:35 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:35 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 02:44 PM
        0 responses