Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read coverage for specific region of the genome

I have RNA-seq data from 14 clones producing my protein of interest. I used Tophat2 to align my reads to the genome. In order to check for ER stress I would like to see whether a specific 26bp intron in XBP-1 is removed or not.

To solve this my plan is to calculate the read coverage of bp position 35303-35329 in scaffold NW_003614142.1 and check whether this is lower than the surrounding regions = bp region 35250-35302 and 35329 -35359.

Is there an easy way to do this? The information should be pretty straight forward to get from the accepted_hits.bam file. As far as i can tell samtools mpileup (http://samtools.sourceforge.net/samtools.shtml) should be able to do this but i can't get it to work (my programming stills are very limited). Any input to how you would extract the information or how i should correct the mpileup idea are more than welcome

samtools mpileup -b accepted_hits.bam -r NW_003614142.1 > example

Originally posted by Kaas View Post
    I have RNA-seq data from 14 clones producing my protein of interest. I used Tophat2 to align my reads to the genome. In order to check for ER stress I would like to see whether a specific 26bp intron in XBP-1 is removed or not.

To solve this my plan is to calculate the read coverage of bp position 35303-35329 in scaffold NW_003614142.1 and check whether this is lower than the surrounding regions = bp region 35250-35302 and 35329 -35359.

Is there an easy way to do this? The information should be pretty straight forward to get from the accepted_hits.bam file. As far as i can tell samtools mpileup (http://samtools.sourceforge.net/samtools.shtml) should be able to do this but i can't get it to work (my programming stills are very limited). Any input to how you would extract the information or how i should correct the mpileup idea are more than welcome

Hi- You can use coverageBed in bedtools http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/latest/:

Code:
    ## Bed file of intervals where to count reads (i.e. your intron):
    cat b.bed
    NW_003614142.1 35303 35329
    NW_003614142.1 35250-35302
    NW_003614142.1 35329 -35359

## Count reads in bed intervals
    coverageBed -abam accepted_hits.bam -b b.bed

Comment

Hi

Thank you for the answer. That worked fine... but the results did not match what i found in CLC genomic workbench. Seems that it can only be used for DNA and not RNA data with introns as it probably only use the information in the bam file of start of annealing and length of annealing. Results can be seen here, but the intron has the same coverage as the flanking regions using bedtools.

Comment

Try samtools view with the -c parameter, which will generate a count summary of your regions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaas View Post

You can do this using the featureCounts program included in Subread package (http://subread.sourceforge.net).

Code:
          # create a tab-delimited annotation file ("annot.txt")
          GeneID	Chr	Start	End	Strand
          1	NW_003614142.1	35303	35329	+
          2	NW_003614142.1	35250	35302	+
          3	NW_003614142.1	35329	35359	+

# count reads overlapping with each region
          featureCounts -a annot.txt -i your_reads.bam -o counts.txt -F 'SAF' -b -f -O

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Non-Coding RNA Research and Technologies
            by seqadmin

Non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) do not code for proteins but play important roles in numerous cellular processes including gene silencing, developmental pathways, and more. There are numerous types including microRNA (miRNA), long ncRNA (lncRNA), circular RNA (circRNA), and more. In this article, we discuss innovative ncRNA research and explore recent technological advancements that improve the study of ncRNAs.

Nobel Prize for MicroRNA Discovery
            This week,...
            10-07-2024, 08:07 AM
          • seqadmin
            Recent Developments in Metagenomics
            by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
            09-23-2024, 06:35 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:29 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 10-15-2024, 06:35 AM
          0 responses