No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools help

Hi,

I had two Bam (1.bam, 2.bam) files from Bowtie2 and tried to call variants by Samtools. I have tried two procedures and they gave me different answers.

Procedure #1:
    samtools mpileup -uf reference.fa bam1 bam2 | bcftools view -bvcg - > 12.bcf
    bcftools view 12.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -D100 12.flt.vcf

Procedure #2:
    samtools merge 12_merged.bam 1.bam 2.bam
    samtools mpileup -uf reference.fa 12_merged.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > 12_merged.bcf
    bcftools view 12_merged.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -D100 12_merged.vcf

I can't figure out why. Please give some suggestions.

Thanks very much. Happy Thanks giving day.

Well, in one case you're calling SNPs on multiple samples and in the other on a single sample with higher depth. I wouldn't expect them to give the same results.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have one biological sample. And the Illumina sequencing will give me several FASTQ files, 1.fq, 2.fq... If I want to identify SNPs to reference genome, should I align them to genome separately, or combine the sequence first and align them as a single file?

Thanks a million.

Comment

It won't much matter if you align them separately and then merge or concatenate the files and then align the results (if you have paired-end reads, some aligners re-estimate the insert-size distribution throughout the alignment, so that could change things a bit). Whatever you do, don't create multiple BAM files from the same sample and then treat them as multiple biological samples.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Non-Coding RNA Research and Technologies
          by seqadmin

Non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) do not code for proteins but play important roles in numerous cellular processes including gene silencing, developmental pathways, and more. There are numerous types including microRNA (miRNA), long ncRNA (lncRNA), circular RNA (circRNA), and more. In this article, we discuss innovative ncRNA research and explore recent technological advancements that improve the study of ncRNAs.

Nobel Prize for MicroRNA Discovery
          This week,...
          10-07-2024, 08:07 AM
        • seqadmin
          Recent Developments in Metagenomics
          by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
          09-23-2024, 06:35 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 07:29 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 10-15-2024, 06:35 AM
        0 responses