Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many mismatches aligned by BFAST?

Just found an interesting result from one of my BFAST alignments.

I have two replicates of an target enrichment (exome) sequencing run.

In one of the replicates I have pretty clean reads (MQ = 255) and alignments

In the other replicate, I see 12 reads that look out of place (with MQ values ~150). The quality scores per bp are high (~30-38) so it's not sequencing error perhaps, yet these reads don't look like they belong there given the extremely high number of mismatches.

1) How do I prevent/filter out these sorts of alignments? I'm using -a 3 in the BFAST postprocess (uniquely select the best scoring alignment).

2) Also, any one have any theories as to how these reads came about?? What kind of artifact is this? alignment or PCR?

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts/suggestions!

Since there is a 97kb limit for images, I've got my IGV screenshot here:
    Last edited by NGSfan; 11-25-2010, 04:12 AM. Reason: cannot upload image

the other interesting thing is that the pair mates are in the opposite direction.

Normal pair mates appear as -----> <------
    While these highly mismatched reads, the paired mates are in the opposite orientation <------- ------->

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Recent Developments in Metagenomics
      by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
      09-23-2024, 06:35 AM
    • seqadmin
      Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
      by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
      09-09-2024, 10:59 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 09-26-2024, 12:57 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 09-25-2024, 05:35 AM
    0 responses