Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequencing a CO1 metabarcoding library on Illumina MiSeq using spike in of custom primers leads to only PhiX reads

Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling with an issue I am hoping someone could give me some insight on. I have been constructing and sequencing 16S and ITS metabarcoding libraries using the Schloss 16s protocol on my Illumina MiSeq. I started with 16s using the original Schloss 16s primers. I spike in custom sequencing primers so that I sequence both my 16s library and the Illumina PhiX library I use to increase diversity. Then I substituted the primer specific portion for ITS and remade the custom sequencing primers accordingly. This worked fine, I was able to get both the ITS sequences as well as PhiX. However, when I try doing the same thing with CO1 primer sequences, I only get PhiX reads out of the run. I followed the same procedure as when I modified the primers and custom sequencing primers for ITS, but I don't get any CO1 reads at all. I am unclear why this is occurring. I tried modifying the CO1 custom sequencing primers to be closer in length and melting temperature to the original 16s custom sequencing primers, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any insight into why this might be occurring?

On a similar note, does anyone have any primers/protocols they are already using for CO1 metabarcoding? If you do and would be willing to share you primer sequences with me, that would be great (including the custom sequencing primers if you are using those). I am currently using a 1-step PCR approach, but am considering trying a 2-step PCR approach if that might help. Two-step PCR approaches do appear to be more common in the literature, as least for CO1. However, if that would still require the custom sequencing primers, then I feel like I would be right back where I am right now.

Thank you so much for any advice you might have!

In case it helps, I am including examples of my PCR primers and the custom sequencing primers below:

i7: CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT[AACTCTCG]AGTCAGTCAGCCTTCAGGRTGRCCRAARAATCA
    i5: AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC[ATCGTACG]TATGGTAATTGTGGWACWGGWTGAACWGTYTAYCCYCC
    Read1: TATGGTAATTGTGGWACWGGWTGAACWGTYTAYCCYCC
    Read2: AGTCAGTCAGCCTANACYTCNGGRTGNCCRAARAAYCA
    ​Index: TGRTTYTTYGGNCAYCCNGARGTNTAGGCTGACTGACT​
    Attached Files

Hi kbkubow,
    I don't have the solution but I have some experience with customization of the Schloss protocol for different targets. We never tried CO1 though.
    Checking the melting temperature is important, but you considered this already.
    How much primer do you add? After consulting Illumina's tech support, we always add 3.4 µL of primer (100 pmol/µL).

From your sequences I noticed the high number of ambiguous bases. Your read2 primer has 3x N and 5x Y/R, which means that your primer mix has potentially 2048 (4^3 x 2^5 = 2^11) different molecules! In other words, you reduce the probability of an exact match between primer and template by three orders of magnitude. Another effect ist a very broad range of potential melting temperatures (the NEB Tm calculator gives 64 - 76°C for the Hot Start Taq enzyme).
    I am not sure if this is your actual problem but we never used this level of ambiguity in a sequencing primer.

Are you sure that all these 2048 are likely? If you can find that only a small fraction of these are present in actual sequences, it might be better to prepare a custom mix of exact primers instead, choosing the most abundant sequences.
    Check out the Illumina tech note for ITS sequencing, which uses this approach: https://emea.support.illumina.com/co...0064940-01.pdf

It's not a definite answer but I hope it helps...

Comment

Hi ADoetsch,

Thank you for your reply! I am realizing I accidentally posted the wrong custom sequencing primer sequences. Apologies for the mistake!
      Here are the actual sequences:
      Read 1: TTGTGGDACWGGNTGRACHGTBTAYCCTCC
      Read 2: AGTCAGTCAGCCTTCAGGRTGRCCRAARAATC
      Index: GATTYTTYGGYCAYCCTGAAGGCTGACTGACT

But still, I think you are correct, that there are a large number of ambiguous bases. And this could be contributing to the issue. Its a good idea to see if I need all possible combinations or not, and if I instead can prepare of custom mix of exact primers. I will look into this!

Thank you!!!
      Karen
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi kbkubow,

I don't have anything to add regarding your current one step PCR approach but should you decide to switch to a two step approach I can confirm that you wouldn't need custom sequencing primers however you would have to sequence through the CO1 specific part of your primers which will use up some of you read lengths. Illumina has a protocol for this which is fairly straight forward, you would just have to swap out the 16S part of the primer design for your CO1 primer sequences. I've attached their protocol in case you decide to go down this route and it's of any use.
        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
          by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
          09-09-2024, 10:59 AM
        • seqadmin
          Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
          by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
          08-27-2024, 04:44 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:25 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 01:02 PM
        0 responses