View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Jon_Keats

Getting Started: Unix and Xcode

As I said in the first post I'm going to drop in a couple of posts over the next couple of days to outline my experiences to date.

In clinical training they have a mantra of "See one, Do one, Teach one" but on the research side it seems to be more "Need to do one, Figure one out, Maybe Teach one" so this will be my lame teaching attempt or at the very least a place others in our research group can get some basic instructions to replicate the pipeline I'm starting to put together. Hopefully this will be relevant to a number of people and will make some peoples life easier.

I've tested most of the following steps on both my laptop and the workstation we have in the lab (still waiting for Apple to release new Mac Pros… common Steve I'll buy an iPad if you release them in April). Obviously, I'm a Mac guy so these instructions are Mac oriented but should be comparable with any Unix/Linux environment, but that is only a guess.

*Workstation = Mac Pro with two dual core Intel Xeon5150 CPUs at 2.66Gz and 8Gb of 667MHz DDR2 RAM running Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.8*
*Laptop = MacBook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU at 2.66GHz and 4Gb of 1067MHz DDR3 RAM running Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3*

Okay, so today you got some terabyte drives with Illumina data and you want to do something with it. The following instructions should get you ready to do something:

First thing to do is to familiarize yourself with Unix and the Terminal (Applications>Utilities>Terminal) application on your MAC. I would highly recommend working though at least the Unix portion of the "Unix and Perl for Biologists" course made public by Keith Bradham and Ian Korf at UC Davis (http://groups.google.com/group/unix-...for-biologists). I'd recommend going to their website and get the entire course package (http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/Unix_and_Perl/index.html) it is well worth a night or two of your time I promise.
If you are not going to do that you need to understand one or two commands to get going:

To get a manual on any command type "man command". Hit "space" to page down, "b" to back-up, and "q" to quit
To see what folder you are in currently type "pwd"
To see what folders and files exist in the current directory type "ls"
To move into a folder in the current directory type "cd myfolder" Note: you can move multiple levels downstream with "cd myfolder/myfolder2"
To go back one directory type "cd .." Note: you can move back multiple levels upstream with "cd ../.."
To copy a file from the current directory to a downstream folder "cp myfile myfolder/" or "cp myflie ../" to copy a file up a directory
To move a file from the current directory use "mv" in place of cp
A folder immediately downstream of the root directory (ie. absolute top of the tree) is always defined by "command /folder" (ie. if you type "cd /something" it looks for the folder "something" downstream of the root directory)
The current directory can always be noted by "./"
You will need to change the permissions of the compiled applications with "chmod 755 myfile". This makes the file readable and executable by everyone but only you can write, alternatively use 777 so anyone can do everything.

To run many of the applications Maq, BWA, Samtools, etc.. you will need to either place the applications in the PATH, define additional PATH locations, or you need to note the location of the application each time you call it. To find the current PATH directories used by Unix type "$PATH" and you should get a print out similar to the following:
-bash: /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

NOTE: These folders are directly below the root directory and represent places unix looks for applications to run. If you want to run any of the applications you will download and compile such as BWA you need to either type "./bwa" and the current directory must contain the bwa application. Assuming you have administrator rights to your machine, the way I initially got around this was to place the applications in one of the path directories as follows:

1) copy application to a PATH directory, type "sudo cp myfile /usr/bin" you will be prompted for you password (sudo = superuser … yes, today you are SUPERMAN)
2) make the file executable, type "sudo chmod /usr/bin/myfile"

NOTE: After running into an issue installing BFAST I'd suggest the following NOT the previous (Actually suggestion from Nils Homer...thanks)
1) create a directory in your home directory for the applications "mkdir -p $HOME/local/bin"
2) edit your .profile file so this directory is in your PATH directories
>open terminal
>type "ls -a" (You should see a file called .profile)
>open with nano "nano .profile"
*** Add the following lines to your .profile file, DO NOT remove things in the current version ***

export PATH=$HOME/local/bin:$PATH

> To save edits "control-O"
> To exit nano "control-X"

# Subsequently when you install things place the executable's in this directory so they are in a $PATH directory
# Either copy application to the directory $HOME/local/bin
# If using install script "./configure --prefix=$HOME/local"

This no longer requires sudo (Guess we shouldn't always be Superman)

Second you need to install Xcode on your Mac System so you can compile the various applications
- Download the current version, Xcode3.2, at (http://developer.apple.com/technolog...ols/xcode.html). You will have to become a member otherwise find your OS install discs and do it from the disc install option.
NOTE: This version is only compatible with Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.x
- If you have a Leopard system go find the OS install discs (you need Disc 2) and install the package
> Mac OS X Install Disc 2 > open Xcode Tools folder > double click XcodeTools.mpkg

Third, for some applications like BFAST it will help to install "Fink" (...Another Nils suggestion) or "MacPorts" (seems more up to date)
- Download and install the current version from (http://www.finkproject.org/) or (http://www.macports.org/)
- You should install the package md5deep at least to install BFAST "fink install md5deep" or "port install md5deep"

Next step get the applications you need…

See the next post,

Jonathan

Last edited by Jon_Keats; 02-23-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Updated, to reflect changes that occured over time
Jon_Keats is offline   Reply With Quote