Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moorepark View Post
    We also need to put pressure on for public announcement because for those who have to use 600 cycle, an announcement would get funding agencies off their backs.

This is a huge problem for us. We lost many thousands of dollars trying to
    "fix" this problem on the library prep end, and we had tens of thousands of dollars allotted to sequencing on a government contract. Now the contract is over and we weren't able to get the sequencing done in time because of Illumina. We found a facility that still had semi-working kits, but we need Illumina to either officially announce their kit problem so our contract admin has a paper trail or pay for all the parts and labor independently.

Does anyone have any idea on who I can contact at Illumina? Our local rep just brushes us off, but this is not something we're going to just allow.

Comment

Illumina have already stated they will not release a PQN for this issue, so don't expect that to change...

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll be willing to help us since our paper trail involves a very early recognition of the problem, which we immediately brought to their attention. Our runs have definitely been a worst-case-scenario for them - not just quality drop off after 100-200bp, but a total loss of quality within 50bp. The exact same library was run at a different facility with older versions and worked relatively well, with the more normal drop off after a >150bp, pointing to the kit as the culprit.

My main question is if anyone has a lead on a good person at Illumina to contact. I'm pretty fired up about this whole incident, I'm not even sure how ethical it is for them to just pretend there's not a problem with the public while privately telling us the kit's not working.

Comment

Originally posted by ksawatzki View Post
          Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll be willing to help us since our paper trail involves a very early recognition of the problem, which we immediately brought to their attention. Our runs have definitely been a worst-case-scenario for them - not just quality drop off after 100-200bp, but a total loss of quality within 50bp. The exact same library was run at a different facility with older versions and worked relatively well, with the more normal drop off after a >150bp, pointing to the kit as the culprit.

My main question is if anyone has a lead on a good person at Illumina to contact. I'm pretty fired up about this whole incident, I'm not even sure how ethical it is for them to just pretend there's not a problem with the public while privately telling us the kit's not working.
          Dear Ksawatzki,

Many peoples are complaining V3 kit issue.
          Many seq core facilities are refusing V3.

Read these articles from everywhere.

Insight into biases and sequencing errors for amplicon sequencing with the Illumina MiSeq platform.--> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25586220

A novel conceptual approach to read-filtering in high-throughput amplicon sequencing studies --> http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/conten...v1113.abstract

Rapid advances in sequencing technology have changed the experimental landscape of microbial ecology. In the last 10 years, the field has moved from sequencing hundreds of 16S rRNA gene fragments per study using clone libraries to the sequencing of millions of fragments per study using next-generati …

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Before 2015 ends, I'd like to tie up two loose threads.  In doing so, I'll deviate slightly from my usual pattern and publish two posts in ...

Comment

CEO's and presidents name are both on the Illumina website- maybe you should start at the top! If you succeed in getting any satisfaction let us know.....

Comment

Use asymetric run mode with 600 cycle kits.

Originally posted by dfhdfh View Post
              After talking to Illumina, they said it might be the library but they cannot exclude a failure of the reagents, so they sent new reagents. I went down from 1000 K/mm² to 700 K/mm² and increased PhiX from 5 % to 12 % and am now running the same library again. This costed me 8 M reads PF (down from 25 M to 17 M). I hope that it'll still be enough for the analysis.
              Actually the one should count not the number of the raw PF reads, but the number of good quality reads left after all preprocessing steps.
              Sometimes the 25M PF with 0.1% passed all processing steps is way worse, than 8M PF with 15% of reads passing preprocessing.

Also it can be quite helpful to do asymmetric 600 cycle runs - add some (10-15% of cycles from R2 to R1): instead of R1:300,I:6,R2:300,

run it in the R1:330,I:6,R2:270 mode, since last 30 - 50 cycles of the R2 are just wasting reagents better spent on the R1 read.

Comment

Originally posted by james hadfield View Post
                At Illumina's UK UGM the team discussed the low quality at the end of long-read MiSeq kits. They acknowleged there was an issue and that they were actively working on it. However they have no plans to issue a quality notification until they understand the root cause. This issue has been rumbling on for months, at least a handful of invited users had not even heard of the problem.

Users need to be aware that 600 cycle kits are most likely not to work for long amplicons as the ends of both reads will drop in quality - badly.

The sentiment at the meeting was that issuing a quality notification to make sure customers are aware of this risks damaging confidence in these kits. Whilst many users will be unaffected (small random fragment genomes) or anyone sequencing under 500bp, the kit is clearly not delivering as expected in many long-read situations. Shareholders and investment banks may react negatively to a PQN, but without it too many users are in the dark.

Speak to your FAS and Sales team.
                Has anyone heard of any developments re this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by ksawatzki View Post
                  This is a huge problem for us. We lost many thousands of dollars trying to
                  "fix" this problem on the library prep end, and we had tens of thousands of dollars allotted to sequencing on a government contract. Now the contract is over and we weren't able to get the sequencing done in time because of Illumina. We found a facility that still had semi-working kits, but we need Illumina to either officially announce their kit problem so our contract admin has a paper trail or pay for all the parts and labor independently.

Does anyone have any idea on who I can contact at Illumina? Our local rep just brushes us off, but this is not something we're going to just allow.
                  Is anyone currently using these v3 600 kits? Anymore feedback from Illumina?

Comment

We are using 2x300 kits. There is no feedback from Illumina. As detailed in this thread, if you feel that you did not get enough data, you can open a ticket with tech support and they may provide a free kit (this may be dependent on having a current maintenance contract).

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                      We are using 2x300 kits. There is no feedback from Illumina. As detailed in this thread, if you feel that you did not get enough data, you can open a ticket with tech support and they may provide a free kit (this may be dependent on having a current maintenance contract).
                      There IS feedback from illumina:

At Illumina's UK UGM the team discussed the low quality at the end of long-read MiSeq kits. They acknowleged there was an issue and that they were actively working on it. However they have no plans to issue a quality notification until they understand the root cause. This issue has been rumbling on for months, at least a handful of invited users had not even heard of the problem.

Users need to be aware that 600 cycle kits are most likely not to work for long amplicons as the ends of both reads will drop in quality - badly.

The sentiment at the meeting was that issuing a quality notification to make sure customers are aware of this risks damaging confidence in these kits. Whilst many users will be unaffected (small random fragment genomes) or anyone sequencing under 500bp, the kit is clearly not delivering as expected in many long-read situations. Shareholders and investment banks may react negatively to a PQN, but without it too many users are in the dark.

Speak to your FAS and Sales team.

I assume you have not had any issue with the kits ?

Do you feel this is an acceptable response to the ongoing issue?

Comment

@dannyhi321: The response you copied above was posted by @James Hadfield earlier (post #37) in this thread. I thought you were asking if there has been any feedback recently and the answer for that is no, AFAIK. Only thing we ended up doing was downgrading MCS to v.2.5.x based on recommendation from Illumina (there is a PQN for that).

We sequence all kinds of libraries (many are low diversity). Some work better than others but we have not had any outright failures. Most of the times the drops in Q-scores have been because of shorter inserts (than expected) otherwise for others we have been able to routinely get Q30 > 75%. We do spike-in 10% or more phiX based on the sample type for low diversity samples.

Comment

@dannyhi321: The response you copied above was posted by @James Hadfield earlier (post #37) in this thread. I thought you were asking if there has been any feedback recently and the answer for that is no, AFAIK. Only thing we ended up doing was downgrading MCS to v.2.5.x based on recommendation from Illumina (there is a PQN for that).

We sequence all kinds of libraries (many are low diversity). Some work better than others but we have not had any outright failures. Most of the times the drops in Q-scores have been because of shorter inserts (than expected) otherwise for others we have been able to routinely get Q30 > 75%. We do spike-in 10% or more phiX based on the sample type for low diversity samples.
                          Do you think no feedback re the reagent issue is acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyhi321 View Post
                            Do you think no feedback re the reagent issue is acceptable?
                            This has not been a complete show stopper for us (as it seems to be for some) so we are watching to see where this ends up.

Illumina must be making a good faith effort to fix this and have just not found a solution yet. If they decide to take this SKU off the market (if it can't be fixed then I don't know what else they can do) that can only lead to more unhappy users than there currently are.

Comment

This has not been a complete show stopper for us (as it seems to be for some) so we are watching to see where this ends up.

Illumina must be making a good faith effort to fix this and have just not found a solution yet. If they decide to take this SKU off the market (if it can't be fixed then I don't know what else they can do) that can only lead to more unhappy users than there currently are.
                              With all due respect, I don't regard the statement "There will be no public announcement until we have 100% identified the problem and removed it" relating to a known problem with a core reagent as acting in good faith. In fact a reagent whose performance metric many users base/based the purchase of their system. Keeping quiet and waiting until a user complains and then reimbursing them is hardly "acting in good faith".

I am glad car manufacturers do not apply the same "logic" to their safety systems!

Comment

Is this only an issue for amplicon sequencing? I haven't run a V3 600 cycle kit in a few months but have a library to sequence next week...WGS, FastQ only.

My last run worked fine even overclustered at 1800k/mm2, 85%PF.

I typically run the 600 cycle kits at 2x275. Quality over quantity is fine for my needs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses