Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mchotalia
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 8

    #1

    Reducing the amount of DNA going into a TruSeq library Preparation?

    Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone has experience of using less than 1ug of input DNA for the TruSeq DNA library prep? I am assuming i would have to alter the covaris shearing settings and also dilute the adapters in the ligation step to avoid adapter dimers? Does anyone have tips for this?

    In addition, i recently made TruSeq DNA libraries using 1ug of DNA and followed the instructions carefully. I ended up with so much library that i was thinking of next time quantifying the library after size selection and if there is enough then i would omit the enrichment step. Is there any reason why i should not do this?

    It'll be great to hear your thoughts.

    Thanks in advance.
  • Heisman
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 534

    #2
    I haven't used TruSeq, but for your second question, you can have a lot of library that isn't necessarily properly prepped. So, without the PCR you won't be sure if your DNA has proper adapters. You can get around this issue by using a small portion of your DNA, doing PCR, and back calculating to determine how much properly prepped DNA you have (qPCR would work too, I think). I haven't tried this but I think it should work if your calculation is correct.

    Comment

    • pmiguel
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 2328

      #3
      Possibly, but check this out:

      The following:

      Is there a PCR-free TruSeq Sample Prep protocol available?

      The new index adapter design enables PCR-free protocols. (A single cycle of synthesis is required to separate the forked adapter.)
      When I wrote to Illumina tech support asking if the NaOH used prior to clustering should not suffice for "separating" the "forked adapter" I got the following:

      We have found that if you simply take the annealed fragment that has the forked adapters on each end and add it to the clustering reaction that even with NaOH treatment before clustering, there is poor initial hybridization and the resultant clustering is poor. By allowing at least one PCR cycle this separates the strands and the forked adapters, allows a single amplification of the entire strands, resulting in a clean, double-stranded species that gives cleaner clustering results.
      We had a 70% GC genome organism, Deinococcus radiodurans, library that gave very patchy coverage with the normal 10 cycles of amplification and v1 chemistry, but when run with no amplification and v3 chemistry:

      (1) The coverage was very smooth, but
      (2) The library gave very few reads -- at 10x less than expected from qPCR.

      Sadly we consumed the entire library before I stumbled upon the above information. So I can't verify that with a single round of amplification we would get the best of both worlds.

      --
      Phillip

      Comment

      • FredericRaymond
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 8

        #4
        Have you tried doing the PCR with enzymes, buffers or additives optimized for high-GC sequences? For example, reagents such as Betaine or commercial solutions can be added to the PCR to improve the melting of GCs.

        FR

        Comment

        • pmiguel
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 2328

          #5
          No, we just tried no amp. By qPCR there was plenty of library. It actually worked, but gave us far fewer clusters than we expected.

          --
          Phillip

          Comment

          • BIG_SNP
            Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 14

            #6
            We often go as low as 100ng input for DNA libraries. Alternatively as others have mentioned we have also had good luck with 1ug input and dramatically reducing the number of PCR cycles.

            Comment

            • mchotalia
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 8

              #7
              To Big SNP,

              When you are using 100ng for the TruSeq kit do you alter the volume of adapters going into the reaction or do you continue as if you are using 1ug?

              Many thanks

              Comment

              • pmiguel
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2008
                • 2328

                #8
                If you really have 100ng (ie, measured on a fluorimeter with a ds-specific fluor), then you are probably fine as you are. Your issue would be adapter dimers? Illumina built in two levels of adapter-dimer suppression:

                (1) T-tailed adapters with nuclease resistant phosphorothioate linkages.
                (2) PCR primers that include the terminal T (which won't be there if the T-tail was lost and allowing blunt end ligation of adapters.

                Note well, however, (2) is speculative because Illumina refuses to reveal the sequence of their PCR primers! Probably just want to maintain some type of mystique to keep you interested in them...

                --
                Phillip

                Comment

                • csquared
                  Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 67

                  #9
                  Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                  (1) T-tailed adapters with nuclease resistant phosphorothioate linkages.
                  (2) PCR primers that include the terminal T (which won't be there if the T-tail was lost and allowing blunt end ligation of adapters.

                  Note well, however, (2) is speculative because Illumina refuses to reveal the sequence of their PCR primers! Probably just want to maintain some type of mystique to keep you interested in them...
                  The TruSeq primers are well 5' of the ligation point so (2) is very very unlikely. From everything we can tell, there is nothing special about the primers and the sequences of the primers are basically the flow cell sequences at the 5' end of the TruSeq adaptors.
                  HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
                  http://www.hudsonalpha.org/gsl

                  Comment

                  • pmiguel
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 2328

                    #10
                    Originally posted by csquared View Post
                    The TruSeq primers are well 5' of the ligation point so (2) is very very unlikely. From everything we can tell, there is nothing special about the primers and the sequences of the primers are basically the flow cell sequences at the 5' end of the TruSeq adaptors.
                    I don't think so.

                    Please see:

                    Any non-primary sequence heritable modification of genetic material. ChIP-SEQ, DNA methylation (Bisulfite-SEQ), chromatin modifications (methylation, acetylation, etc), non coding RNA.


                    To me it looks like the TruSeq PPC (PCR Primer Cocktail) contains oligos that are about 80 nt.

                    But if you have a different explanation I would love to see it...

                    --
                    Phillip

                    Comment

                    • Heisman
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 534

                      #11
                      Phillip,

                      Is it possible that the primers have LNA's or some other non-normal entity that would cause them to run at a different length than their true length?

                      Comment

                      • csquared
                        Member
                        • May 2008
                        • 67

                        #12
                        Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                        I don't think so.

                        To me it looks like the TruSeq PPC (PCR Primer Cocktail) contains oligos that are about 80 nt.

                        But if you have a different explanation I would love to see it...
                        Lots of things run at higher than expected sizes on the Bioanalyzer. If you are correct, the TruSeq primer cocktail is a mix of all 12 indexes and somehow the the different indexes don't cross-anneal. I'll stick with very very unlikely.
                        HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
                        http://www.hudsonalpha.org/gsl

                        Comment

                        • pmiguel
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 2328

                          #13
                          Originally posted by csquared View Post
                          Lots of things run at higher than expected sizes on the Bioanalyzer. If you are correct, the TruSeq primer cocktail is a mix of all 12 indexes and somehow the the different indexes don't cross-anneal. I'll stick with very very unlikely.
                          Yep, if I am correct, that is one thing it might imply. Well, it does not imply that different indexes don't cross-anneal. In fact it suggests that there could be a certain amount of cross-annealing. When I wrote Illumina to point out that it would be potentially very bad if their primers included a mixture of indexes and begged them to basically "say it wasn't so", I got the following response:

                          Unfortunately our PCR primer sequences are proprietary and I am unable to comment on their size and/or composition.
                          Apart from that, it does seem pretty crazy and therefore unlikely. However, Agilient chips are designed to estimate the length of polynucleotides. Sure they are far from perfect. But I don't think I am being unreasonable in claiming that if the PCR primers run at 80-85 nt, that it is possible that they are, in fact, that length.

                          Your claim that "lots of things run at higher than expected sizes on the Bioanalyzer" is, well, absolutely the case. But not relevant here, I should think, because, all evidence of that sort I have seen indicates that ssDNA (or probably ssRNA) on a dsDNA chip runs slower than dsDNA of the same length. But the results I link to in my earlier post were from an RNA chip after heat denaturation of the "PCR Primer Cocktail". The sizing artifacts I see on RNA chips are of another sort and would not be expected to cause single stranded oligos to run larger than their actual length.

                          Anyway, my request for evidence that the PPC primers are not 80-85 nts long stands. But currently the only actual evidence I have seen indicates that they are that long.

                          Also, I should add, that even if they are 80-85 nts long, it does not mean they must include the indexes. Could be that they contain distal sequence not amplified during bridge PCR.

                          --
                          Phillip

                          Comment

                          • pmiguel
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 2328

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Heisman View Post
                            Phillip,

                            Is it possible that the primers have LNA's or some other non-normal entity that would cause them to run at a different length than their true length?
                            Sure, that is possible. Not sure if LNA's do run longer than normal bases. But it could also be other modifications.

                            --
                            Phillip

                            Comment

                            • csquared
                              Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 67

                              #15
                              Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                              Also, I should add, that even if they are 80-85 nts long, it does not mean they must include the indexes. Could be that they contain distal sequence not amplified during bridge PCR.

                              --
                              Phillip
                              Even less likely. Have a look at the flow cell sequences and how the bridge PCR works. Any 5' distal sequence would really be problematic.

                              I'm going to try to amplify a standard PE library with the TruSeq primers. If they amplify, we know that the primers are not full length. If they don't, maybe they are.

                              One final piece of information: I was able to get directly from Illumina (and a very good source) that the PCR primer cocktail does NOT contain a mix of all 12 indexes and that the sequences are not full length. They were not able to provide any more details than that.
                              HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
                              http://www.hudsonalpha.org/gsl

                              Comment

                              Latest Articles

                              Collapse

                              • SEQadmin2
                                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                by SEQadmin2


                                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                ...
                                Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                              • SEQadmin2
                                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                by SEQadmin2




                                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                              ad_right_rmr

                              Collapse

                              News

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              29 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                              0 responses
                              24 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                              1 response
                              46 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                              1 response
                              55 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Working...